Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Again, if you were charged with a crime and a warrant issued, your passport would be flagged. This means that when you try to use your passport, the fact that you were charged with a crime will be noted. Depending on where you present your passport, you may be simply turned away or held for extradition.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
    You can't just apply for residency after landing in a foreign country, Canada or Australia even if your passport is not flagged, which I doubt.

Applying for Visas is a pre-requisite for visiting; then applying for residency is another procedure and doubtful if either country will want you with any kind of criminal record.
    goldenbullet23 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
    In response to AK, I accessed my file through a paid website where you can check the criminal status of anyone by typing their name and state and it has all there information like misdeameanors, driving tickets, felonies, etc.

Sep 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
    The U.S Marshall and police officers have arrived at my parent's residence in the U.S several times throughout these 6 years and had my driver's license picture and asked them if they knew about my where-a-bouts. They said they knew nothing about me and then the police would go away. I don't know why the lawyer I questioned advised me to flee the country, I guess he saw no other way I could get away with jail time. The fact that I saw my name on the criminal database along with the police coming to my parent's residence several times has me wondering if it was this severe of a case, wouldn't they have found me by now, couldn't they have disturbed my parents much more. I have no idea if my passport is flagged, I'm just wondering with all this information I have disclosed, exactly where does my case stand. Is it possible to utilize my U.S passport or not?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 15, 2013, 10:51 AM
    ' Is it possible to utilize my U.S passport or not?'
    ScottGem answered this just above.

As for finding you in another country, they can look for you but only authorities in the country you are in at the moment can arrest you, and then there are complications of extradition. For statutory rape, chances are they would not look for you outside of the US.

We still can't figure out how you were CONVICTED without a trial, unless the trial had started, and wish you would clarify both exactly what the website called your criminal status, and whether your trial had started. This may not be what you care about right now, but it's actually important. For your sake.

Sep 15, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Can you copy and paste what it says on that website, edit out any names and specific locations,

The fact that the police still contact your parents means the case is still open. But its unlikely they will pursue you outside the country for statutory rape. I've answered your question about your passport.

So your choice here seems to be to return to the US and surrender and face the music or live your life in exile.

Sep 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
    Ok another option. I have completed my bachelors degree and now want to pursue my masters degree. I have consulted agencies and I know that australia offers permanent residency if you are a student in australia for at least two years. Now thee dilemma is I have an high school degree from the U.S.A and my bachelors degree is from where I am now. Now would universities in australia do some sort of criminal background check because of my high sxhool degree from the U.S.A and also to be clearr I would not be using my U.S.A passport but the other passport where I am currently residing.

Sep 15, 2013, 12:46 PM
    By the way I traveled to singapore and mauritius on my current passport without problem. Since my name is the same on both the american passport as well as the current one. It begs me to ponder whether my amerixan passport would pose any problems??
    current pert

Sep 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
    Why won't you answer the 2 important questions?

Sep 15, 2013, 12:58 PM
    Which 2 important ?'s
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Of course your US passport will pose problems; we have already told you that.

Don't know though, if the Australian university will do a background check on you or not. I am assuming there is no international warrant out for your arrest, as you have not been using your US passport which the 'flag' is attached to.

Just what 'other' passport have you been using? You obviously have dual citizenship from somewhere.
    current pert

Sep 15, 2013, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenbullet23 View Post
    Which 2 important ?'s
    1. What exactly it said you were wanted for on the website. EXACT
    2. Whether you started the trial.

Sep 15, 2013, 01:36 PM
    So how did you obtain your current passport?

Was this travel you refer to tourist travel? Obtaining a tourist visa is fairly easy. Obtaining a residence or even a student visa will be much more difficult. And yes, they will do a more comprehensive background check for such a visa.

The questions are what is the actual status of the case and what exactly happened?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So how did you obtain your current passport?

Someone previously theorized that he is a naturalized U.S. citizen. If so, I expect that he could acquire the "current" passport from his country of birth, where presumably he is hiding now.

Sep 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Someone previously theorized that he is a naturalized U.S. citizen. If so, I expect that he could acquire the "current" passport from his country of birth, where presumably he is hiding now.
    Useless speculation. Why not wait for the OP to answer? He has been active in the thread.

Sep 15, 2013, 03:37 PM
    The country I am residing in currently not the country of my birth but it is like from where my parents originally are from. Even while I was living in the u.s I visited this country and had a passport from there as well. I just went back 6 years ago and renewed it without any issue. I don't want to mention the exact country for my own discomfort in disclosing it. Plus my trial never started technically since I fled before they issued the arrest warrant. I checked online and it stated my driving violations along with stat rape felony.
    current pert

Sep 15, 2013, 03:52 PM
    Bottom line, someone is paying for you to go to school, I assume your parents, and they should have hired a good lawyer six years ago, and should do so now.
    Someone who has a good idea whether your passport from the country you don't want to mention will get you into AU, and who can look into the warrant.

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/summ.../CriminalH.htm

I can't see how a trial in absentia could have occurred, given the nature of crimes that can be handled this way.
    I suspect that there is a warrant for your arrest for an alleged felony, not as a convicted felon.

Sep 15, 2013, 04:00 PM
    I have an ethical dilemma here. I do not want to help someone get away with a crime. So I cannot support helping you do so.

If you explain the details of the crime maybe I feel differently. But as it stands now, the only advice we can give is to return to the US and turn yourself in. Face the music.
    current pert

Sep 15, 2013, 04:17 PM
    True, it is something of a dilemma - partly because we can't possibly know if anyone's story is the truth.

Plus, you and we have helped as much as we can, even if we were to hear his story.
    He won't know if he can get into AU with a mystery passport without consulting a lawyer whom he will tell.
    We have told him to get his parents to hire a lawyer in the US.
    What else is there?
    fibian Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Can you obtain the minute orders for your cases from the court house's websites and post it here? Remove any personal info. And it should give us a better understanding of whether you were convicted.

I'm guessing you probably saw arrests and not convictions on your background check.

I'd honestly recommend coming back and facing the music. You'd just be breaking more laws living as an illegal immigrant in Canada or Australia with outstanding warrants from the US. You're making it a lot harder on yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statutory rape [ 4 Answers ]

Is it statutory rape in alberta canada for a 14 year old to have sex with a 19 year old? What happens if she gets pregnant and the fines and stuff just for sex?

I am on South Carolina probation and was arrested in North Carolina for shoplifting.. [ 6 Answers ]

I am on probation in sc and was arrested in nc.. will my po find out? Will I go to prison.. I have completed my drug classes and all my fines are paid on time..

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Statutory Rape? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the laws in Florida? Can a 16 year old girl be charged of statutory rape by the parents of a 14 year old boy? Please help me. This is very important.

View more questions Search