Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrystalrose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Being demoted for being sick
    I live in AZ and suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, Fibromyalgia and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have been with my company for 9 months now, just promoted to a new position 3 months ago – was given a $1.00 raise a month ago within this new position, praised only a few short weeks ago on my job performance. Last week I suffered an extremely rough about of depression and Fibro pain and was out Tuesday – Friday – all which I can back up with a doc’s note. Feeling badly for the company, I advised my boss it might be better for them to find someone else for the job because I felt badly about my absence. On Firday I asked if advised my boss that I was seeking help to adjust my meds, etc and asked if I could keep my job. I was advised that there was nothing that could be done that they needed someone they could count on to be there. Do I have any legal recourse?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2013, 01:12 PM
    By you suggesting it first and then needing additional time off I'd say you don't have much of a chance. With the medical leave laws you might have a little hope . The company has to look at it from their point of view which boils down to production and cost effectiveness
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
    You have no recourse, sorry. Being let go or not has nothing to do with a doctor's note, meds, changing your mind based on meds, or any of what transpired. They can let you go for any reason except race, creed, etc. And disability reasons, covered under ADA, don't cover this situation either.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 13, 2013, 06:01 PM
    If there are more than 50 employees, the Family and Medical Leave Act might apply. On the other hand, it does appear that you more-or-less invited them to fire you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
    I just realized that this is a demotion back to the job of just a short time ago, not termination.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 07:50 AM
    I agree, first you suggested it.

Second, even if you did not suggest it, they are not firing you, merely re-assigning you. They may do that anytime, for no reason if they want. ** unless there are contacts.

But just having a doctor excuse, esp if there are a lot of absence does not help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi everyone, I've been feeling sick the past few mornings not acc getting sick but jus [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been feeling sick the past few mornings not acc getting sick but just empty reaches I have no pains in stomach just the going to be sick feeling, my breasts are sore at the sides and front and are sore to touch could I be pregnant please help? Oh and did have unprotected sex a few...

Demoted with no logical reason [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently in a wreck and there was alcohol involved, during my recovery time they moved someone else into my position and have taken put me in a different store will a huge pay deduction , my pay before hand was 2000 salary plus a percentage of the store gross, the two weeks that I was in the...

I tried to complain about boss who is incompetent and it got me demoted [ 7 Answers ]

My new boss has a brain injury from Iraq. He's a nice guy. I have vets in my family, I admire his service. But, point blank, he's incapable of doing his job. He's given wrong answers to the folks who work under him and I and I had to straighten out his mess, I guess because I felt responsible to...

Get demoted and they lower your pay rate [ 1 Answers ]

If you are employed in pa and u are a manager and u are not fulfilling your job duties and get demoted are they allowed to lower your pay

Should I be mad if I just got demoted in my best friends wedding? [ 6 Answers ]

We have been best friends for about 12 years and she's getting married this year in December. Of course I'm very excited for her and excited for myself when she asked me to be her maid of honor, especially since she's the closest I have to a sister. But just last night she caved in to pressure from...

View more questions Search