Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GradeAJumbo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2013, 09:14 AM
    Got married... She's in MD and I'm from PA is dual residency the answer?
    What is the best way to handle vehicle registration when I just got married to a woman from Maryland. I also just retired from the military so I haven't established "residency" yet. Having said that we bought a house together with a VA Loan in Maryland.

I don't want to be bothered with Maryland's wacky rules for registering cars... the excise tax, the inspection, the insanity of it all.

My wife is all over me to establish residency in MD but I'm not so sure since I do have property in PA (which I visit quite regularly).

She also has a condo in MD.

We own a house together in MD.

Ebaines you seem like the subject matter expert on all things such as this... Please help!

Also how do I handle the car insurance since I send 4 days in MD and 3 in PA?

My wife has GEICO and I have USAA and neither one wants to switch.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2013, 09:28 AM
    If you are in MD for over 30 days and haven't registered it there and gotten a license there.. trust me you CAN get cited for it... on both cases... and yes they can suspend your driving privileges in the entire state.

Been there before personally..
    GradeAJumbo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2013, 10:23 AM
    @ smoothy

Thanks for the input...

I still get all my mail in PA with the exception of the utility bills for the MD house which I haven't moved into yet. Major renovations if you know what I mean. Projected move in date is late next month (Oct).

I wish my wife wasn't so enamored with Maryland! I really want to just see her on the weekends and live in VA, WV or PA. The only saving grace is that she hates DC like me!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GradeAJumbo View Post
    @ smoothy

Thanks for the input...

I still get all my mail in PA with the exception of the utility bills for the MD house which I haven't moved into yet. Major renovations if you know what I mean. Projected move in date is late next month (Oct).

I wish my wife wasn't so enamored with Maryland! I really want to just see her on the weekends and live in VA, WV or PA. The only saving grace is that she hates DC like me!
    All Maryland has to do is see your car parked someplace in the state for over 30 days and they have everything they need. The property here gives them even more ammunition so to speak.

Like I said... I had a PA registered car and license after I moved to MD years ago... and had my reasons for not changing over... though different from yours... it didn't matter in front of the judge. The car at the time wasn't even registered to me. Didn't matter.

I had 30 days to make the changes.. and present proof to the court.. or the proverbial poo would have hit the fan for me.

Virginia is even more aggressive than MD on this. Never lived in DC (couldn't pay me to live there)... though I work there... but I understand they are pretty bad about it too.

Insurance will be issued from there state where the car is registered. No splitting it.

EDIT: You CAN however split residencey for income tax purposes. Just not the car and realted stuff.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2013, 11:32 AM
    They don't care about your reasons. Even if you go back and forth xx amount of months they will see MD as primary residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual residency [ 1 Answers ]

My son goes to school in Iowa and our home residence is in Minnesota. Can he claim dual residency? One of his professors said to check into it and he might qualify for reduced tuition. Thanks Shannon

Dual residency in pa [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a township (abington) but do not want to send my daughter to that school system. She is going into her junior year of HS. The next school district over (lower moreland) is where I would like to send her. Our house has been on the market for 6 months but we have been unable to sell or...

Dual residency [ 1 Answers ]

I am a teacher. I entered the USA in August 2007 and I was exempted from income tax for two years. I changed status in August 2009 . Under the substantial presence test I am classified as a Resient alien for part of 2009 that is for the period beginning August 2009. I know that I have to file dual...

View more questions Search