Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darcilamb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Strange wasp incident- purpose and ID?
    Hello,

I have a minor in entomology and just witnessed something for the first time: a wasp chasing down and repeatedly stinging another wasp. They were two different species, the attacker was larger than the victim. They flew away (one right on the tail of the other) before I was able to record it.

I've Google this and have come up with ZERO results, other than an obscure forum in the UK where someone asked if a wasp would "fight" another, and the answer was "probably not, but anything is possible".

Has anyone else seen this? The wasps have been very aggressive around our house this year, but I've never seen this before. I don't believe the aggressor was a parasitoid wasp and I'm not aware of a parasitoid that preys on other wasps. The aggressor was VERY aggressively attacking the other and they were both black and yellow striped.

Suggestions? Thanks!
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Sep 11, 2013, 10:16 AM
    I just put 'wasps fighting?' in as a Google search and pulled up loads of info.
    https://www.google.com/#q=wasps+fighting%3F
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 11, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Possibly you witnessed two fertile females in a battle for queenship of a new nest. Yellowjacket wasps do that almost every time they start a new nest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stung by a wasp [ 1 Answers ]

Ho do I know if I need to see a doctor after being stung by a wasp?

Wasp spray [ 21 Answers ]

My hornet spray says Never Use indoors, but I had a HUGE wasp on my kitchen floor and my reaction was to grab the hornet spray I hate those things!. I cleaned up the area I sprayed on the floor, but I don't know if I should leave the house for a few I don't smell it anymore and I have the fan on...

What is this wasp? [ 6 Answers ]

I need help in identification of this black-yellow wasp/bee. It has nearly the same size that of a hover fly. It makes nest in ground. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lDfVXMCBuu0/Sn6_9OAcmdI/AAAAAAAADbo/QE0pmYhEz2w/s1600-h/wasp-2.jpg

Wasp Infestation [ 3 Answers ]

Eighteen days ago, I found many wasps in my apartment and called the maintenance man for help. He killed them and used a spray on the outside bricks where he saw wasps going through a hole in the mortar to their nest in my wall. I asked for an exterminator to help with the problem Making a long...

Wasp, how to get rid of them [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best spray to use or the best natural way to get rid of wasp

View more questions Search