Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirk1996 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 11:01 AM
    Theft under 5000
    Hey everyone I am 17 , yesterday I revived a letter from a police officer stateing I am being charged with theft under 5000 for theft of a new blackberry z10 , I sold that phone and they are also trying to get me for trafficking... I don't know what to do now I have court on October 8th 2013 and have no money for a representative,. any help??
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 11:04 AM
    Talk to your parents... you NEED a lawyer... is this USA, Canada, or where?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:58 PM
    At 17, most likely the court will require your parents or at least one parent to be present anyway. Since at 17 you can not hire your own attorney. So talk to them.

After that, you get either an attorney from legal aid ( if they allow one) or you hire an attorney.

Unlike popular belief, not everyone gets an attorney appointed. So much for the reading of your rights. But in US, many places no longer appoints an attorney if there is no jail time going to be given (only fines) and a few if the jail time is less than one year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft Over $5000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out I'm being charged with Theft over $5000 in toronto. What are the consequences I will face and what are my choices?

Theft Under $5000 Twice [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am very stressed out…….. Please help me…….we live in Brampton (Ontario)….three years ago my wife did some shopping in bay and completely forgot to pay, one of the item of others. In result of Bay called police and charged her with Theft Under $5000. We went to court etc and she got...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

View more questions Search