Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2013, 06:32 AM
    Rust Stains / Are Back??
    2 yrs this December we had a Simple Soft Plus , Water Softener installed.. Just ahead of the Softener is a UV Light as well... Reason being we were having Issues with Hard Water and lingering Rust Stains that can be very unsightly in the best of times.. Anyway after having the Softener installed the Rust Stains vanished... Now after coming home from being 10 days away the Wife had plans to soak in a Hot Bath ,once she was in and moving the Suds around she noticed the water looking kind of Blackish... Upon draining the tub the sides were stained a dark color.. The only recent addition was Replacing the Hot Water tank beginning of Summer.. But this is the 1st setback since installing the Water Softener.. Any ideas where the problem lies.. Thanks
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2013, 07:25 PM
    If you have rust stains, you probably have iron bacteria in your well. This manifests itself as black "yuk" that sometimes comes with a musty or sulfur smell. Theoretically, the UV can disinfect it, but it takes longer than the time each molecule of water has going through the pipe. If it's not too plentiful, the softener can filter it out, but it will quickly clog up the filter medium in the tank... I'm talking about a year or two. The fact that you say your softener is two years old, combined with the water being stagnant for 10 days, plus the nice growing conditions in the hot water tank, could produce the black stains you're referring to.

The standard treatment for iron bacteria is a chlorine shock to the well. Unfortunately, it's usually a temporary solution and has to be done periodically, maybe every year or three. Instead of the UV, or in addition to it, you might want to check into a whole-house filter (either the cartridge-type requiring lots of attention, or the self-flushing type like Sears has). Otherwise, you may need to periodically replace the filter medium in your softener. It can be done by the homeowner if you're handy, by removing the top of the softener and using a wet vac to suck out the beads. Then just pour new in, usually a cubic foot of it.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
    I think the "black stuff" on the inside of your tub is related to not using water for 10 days. See if that happens one week after continuous use of the house.

Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rust Stains on the Inside, Bottom Surface of an Ivory Colored Sink [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, All! I'm in a dilemma! It's a sink that isn't all that old. I accidentally left a tin can on the bottom surface of it and it left rust marks. I'm not really sure if it's porcelain or ceramic. It's in the kitchen. Is there a safe way to remove the stains that won't damage the finish,...

How do you get rust stains out of corian countertop? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you get rust stains out of a corian countertop?

Get rust stains from dryer out of clothes [ 1 Answers ]

There are about 2" long rust stains on some of my clothes from my dryer. I can not get it fixed right now but was hoping to find out if I can get the stains out?

Rust stains in shower grout [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - as a result of a rusty screw in the shower ironmongery I've rust trail stains in the grouting. Does anyone know what's best for removing it as it is pretty unsightly.

Rust inside has rust [ 2 Answers ]

I'm seeing rust on the inside of my 10 years old like the sides and the bottoms that hits the side but poool is really clean and looks good.

View more questions Search