Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    signeTify Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 01:15 AM
    Pretty decent computer but lag in games?
    Hi!
    Some days ago I bought a second hand computer with pretty decent specs, but when I play games like COD 4 or Portal 2 I get like 10 to 20 fps and if I put everything to low I only get 30 fps but frames always dropping! Please help! What can I do?

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz
    GPU: Ati Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
    RAM: 4Gb
    DirectX 11
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 05:40 AM
    Is the video built into the motherboard.. or is it on a separate card? Also that's not high end in any way shape or form... in fact right now that's actually lower end.

An i3 will usually whoop a Core 2 duo, and i5 will spank it... and an i7 will chew it up and spit it out.

If video its on the motherboard you have the additional problem of shared memory... as that type is not suitible for many games other than solitare
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 11:37 AM
    Sounds like your Graphics Card is too low end for the games you're trying to play. This card series was released in 2008 and as such, is a little behind the times. I also agree with smoothy that your processor is somewhat weak.

Also, this could be an onboard graphics chip rather than a dedicated card... is it? And is this a laptop or a desk top?

This isn't quite the gaming system that you thought it was.

Sep 10, 2013, 10:56 PM
    Well, first of all, thank you for replying, I think that you're all right, it is not a high end computer, but because it is a desktop computer with a separate graphics card, could I improve my overall gaming experience with a better graphics card?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 11:35 PM
    You probably could as long as your system will fit a newer card.

Sep 11, 2013, 01:01 AM
    Ok thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are some decent specs for a computer these days and how much should I spend? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a new desktop for home use. I'm not a huge gamer, nor do I use any graphically intensive software. What are some specs for a decent computer these days and how much should I be looking to spend?

Pay lag = terms lag + due lag [ 2 Answers ]

Thus Pay lag = terms lag + due lag State how you would expect the following events to affect each type of lag: a. The company imposes a service charge on late payers. b. A recession causes customers to be short of cash. c. The company changes its terms from net 10 to net 20.

Computer Lag with internet turned on but not other Computer [ 1 Answers ]

When ever I turn my computers internet on it Lags like hell but when I use my spare computer (the one I'm using now) the internet is fine. What happens is that it continues to Acquire the network address and then connects for maybe 5 seconds then it disconects:( , saying the network cable is...

Lag on online games [ 3 Answers ]

Whenever I play online games I lag. My internet seems fine and is fast. I have tried everything Disk clean up Disk defragmentation virus checks Turning off firewall What is wrong and how can I fix it

Mixed signals from this girl. Do all pretty girls love to play games? [ 2 Answers ]

This girl has sent me mixed signals for awhile. I met her in business school a few months ago (she was 1st yr, I was 2nd yr) and I helped her with career interview prep. Her body language was always a little innocent, nervous and curious about me, but she did mention her BF (who lives in a...

View more questions Search