Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nykkyo Posts: 132, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Does the major axis
    Of the solar system rotate as the Sun orbits the center of the galaxt in 250 MYRs. Because the orbit of the solar system is so great the parallax to remote objects is insignificant because humanity has existed only a small angle during its orbit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 07:02 PM
    Thank you for using the site, and for looking for help with your school problems. As you should realize from the information you were to read when you signed up, we do not do your home work, or give you answers to home work.

To do so would be a violation of site rules, and a expert doing so, would be incorrect in this.

We can discuss your opinion, so if you wish to tell us what you think, what you find in your study of this, we can discuss it.

Chuck, Moderator
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 08:30 AM
    I really doubt that this is a homework question.

Nykkyo - there really is no "major axis" of the solar system, as the orientation of the orbit of each planet is a bit different from the others. The orientation of each planet's orbit is unlikely to be affected by the gravitational forces of stars other than the sun, given the tremendous distances involved. So I would not expect the planet orbits to "wobble" due to the solar system's orbit about the Milky Way.

I don't understand your second sentence at all - parallax has nothing to do with orbit changes. If you're asking about using parallax caused by the solar system's orbit about the Milky Way to measure distances to other galaxies - perhaps it would work, but as you point out it would require millions of years to run the experiment!
    nykkyo Posts: 132, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I really doubt that this is a homework question.

Nykkyo - there really is no "major axis" of the solar system, as the orientation of the orbit of each planet is a bit different from the others. The orientation of each planet's orbit is unlikely to be affected by the gravitational forces of stars other than the sun, given the tremendous distances involved. So I would not expect the planet orbits to "wobble" due to the solar system's orbit about the Milky Way.

I don't understand your second sentence at all - parallax has nothing to do with orbit changes. If you're asking about using parallax cuased by the solar system's orbit about the Milky Way to measure distances to other galaxies - perhaps it would work, but as yoy point out it would require millions of years to run the experiment!

I thought parallax was the view of a star from Earth at opposite sides of its orbit or Earths psition in the solar system as it goes around the center-of-Milky Way.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 11, 2013, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nykkyo View Post
    I thought parallax was the view of a star from Earth at opposite sides of its orbit or Earths psition in the solar system as it goes around the center-of-Milky Way.
    Yes - it's a technique for measuring distances to other stars that are relatively close by (a few dozen light years at most). For measuring the distance to stars further away, and certainly anything outside the Milky Way such as other galaxies, parallax is not a good technique. I was confused by your post talking about the orbit of the solar system about the galaxy and parallax in the same sentence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Axis left eyes changes within 2 weeks [ 2 Answers ]

My partner had her eyes checked by a new optometrist. He wrote the first script for her first time progressives like this: OD +0.25 -0.50 X 105 0S +0.50 DS Add +2.00 She kept telling the optician the vision in her left eye was blurry, but she said give it 2 weeks. Progressives are...

Find axis if point B [ 1 Answers ]

If point B's coordinates are (10,3), which of the following coordinates would most likely be A's. 1. (6,8) 2. (10,6) 3. (-10,3) 4. (-2,-17)

Imaginary axis of complex number. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between real number and complex number? When complex numbers are plotted on graph why the Y axis is called imaginary part?

Moon axis [ 2 Answers ]

Does the moon rotate on an axis like the earth?

View more questions Search