Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    "Did they take the citizenship of another country" is not relevant. Under U.S. law, other countries' citizenships cannot have any effect on U.S. citizenship or the passing on of U.S. citizenship. Only whether they had U.S. citizenship at birth according to the law (which only depends on the parent's residence in the U.S. and marital status), and whether they renounced or intended to give up U.S. citizenship, matter.
    Again, this is not my forte, but your post doesn't make sense to me.

In the first part you say that becoming a citizen of another country isn't relevant, that becoming a citizen of another country would have no effect on their US citizenship.

Then you say that only having US citizenship at birth, according to the law (which depends on the parent's residence in the US and marital status) and whether they renounced or intended to give up US citizenship, matter.

The part that's confusing is, if becoming a citizen of another country doesn't have any effect on your US citizenship, how does renouncing your US citizenship matter? You would only renounce your citizenship if you become a citizen elsewhere, which, according to you, doesn't matter in the US. You'd still be a US citizen. Or am I misunderstanding what you're posting?

The two seem to contradict each other.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2013, 08:29 PM
    You are also incorrect that a naturalized citizen can't have it revoked.(a claim you also made early in this thread).because its happened a number of times in the past to a number of people... Google didn't give you that in the search either apparently. But there are there if you look for them.

Its also NOT been established if the OP's mother even has ANY documentation to prove she ever was a US citizen... and proof would most certainly be required for that before the OP could even be considered.

And also despite your post... Once citizenship has been renounced... its gone forever. And it can be and has been taken away from people that have sworn allegiance to other countries when they later gained citizenship there.

But these are all things you won't find out using a simple Google search..

If her mother... can't prove she was ever a citizen as a child (because a lack of existing documents)... and its upon HER to prove... not the USA to disprove... the OP has absolutely NO basis for a claim.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Thread closed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    "Did they take the citizenship of another country" is not relevant. Under U.S. law, other countries' citizenships cannot have any effect on U.S. citizenship or the passing on of U.S. citizenship. Only whether they had U.S. citizenship at birth according to the law (which only depends on the parent's residence in the U.S. and marital status), and whether they renounced or intended to give up U.S. citizenship, matter.
    You do not know the law, I am sorry and need to stop pretending to. The issue is not always US law. In cases the other nation may require them to give up US citizenship to become a citizen, Or they may just prefer to. People give up US citizenship every year.

Example, China does not allow dual citizenship, as many other nations.

So your little knowledge is incorrect on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for EU citizen married to US citizen living abroad [ 1 Answers ]

What about the non-US citizen married to a US citizen both living in Europe and not earning income in the US? Does the non-US citizen need to file for US taxes when he has no US income nor is a US citizen? Would the US citizen spouse should just file in married filing separately?

I am a US citizen whose father was born in greece and is a dual US/Greek citizen. [ 0 Answers ]

I know that I can obtain greek citizenship through my father but is it possible for my children , 22 and 25 to obtain it from me?

Taxes for EU citizen married to dual US/EU citizen earning income both in US and EU [ 3 Answers ]

I am not a US citizen who lived and worked in the USA from 2000 - 2008 (worked 2003 - 2008 with H1B visa). My wife is an American and EU citizen and we got married in 2010. We both work, get paid and pay taxes in Europe. We jointly own real estate in the US which we rent and we are interested to...

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

American Citizen married abroad with a Brazilian Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first question, and I hope somebody can help me :-) I'm an american citizen and I got married in Brazil to a Brazilian citizen. She took a semester off from school (university) to stay here with me on a tourist visa. She is going back to Brazil now, to finish her degree (she...

View more questions Search