Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    compiler Posts: 91, Reputation: -1

Sep 9, 2013, 07:36 AM
    Can the laptop makes sound while it is connecting a monitor by an HDMI cable?
    I bought an ASUS VS239H-P monitor without speakers. I connect it to a laptop (Win 7) by an HDMI cable but no sound. Is it possible to make the sound from the laptop while it is connecting an external monitor or the additional external speakers are necessary?
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 9, 2013, 09:05 AM
    Does the laptop not have internal speakers of it's own? If it does, and the sound is not on mute you should check and make sure there is a default sound set for when new hardware is connected. Go to control panel -> sound -> select the sounds tab. From there, there should be a list of actions that will play a sound when the action is met. Look for Device Connect in the list and make sure there is a default sound set for it. You can hit the test button to make sure it works.
    compiler Posts: 91, Reputation: -1

Sep 9, 2013, 02:14 PM
    The laptop has its own speakers. But, when it connects the external monitor by the HDMI cable, the audio goes to the monitor. The monitor, however, has no speaker but earphone port. Thus, there is no sound unless I use the earphone. If I disconnect the external monitor, the laptop makes the sound again. So, actually I want both of the laptop and external monitor have the sound when the laptop connects the external monitor. Does anyone know how to do it?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Nov 25, 2013, 08:42 AM
    Is the monitors earphone monaural or stereo? If its stereo you can purchase an inexpensive set of 2.0 or 2.1 speakers to plug into the monitor. Typically an earphone plug is monaural (one ear only) and a headphone plug is stereo. If you plug headphones into the jack and get stereo sound, there you go. If it actually happens to be monaural plugging stereo speakers into it would mean only one speaker would have sound. Since monaural earphones are rare these days I would suspect its stereo. Your monitor manual will tell you in the specifications. Also if you use a DVI cord to connect the monitor (if that's possible) the laptops speakers should work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

CanI connect hdmi on laptop to hdmi on my surround sound system? [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know,if I can hook up the hdmi on the laptop to hdmi input on the surround sound and have it work. I'musing the headphone jack now but it's a sh$#*y connection.

Connecting s-viedo cable to 50' panasonic to laptop HP tx1000 to watch movies [ 1 Answers ]

Connecting s-viedo cable to 50'' panasonic to laptop HP Pavilion tx1000 to watch movies I have 2 s-viedo ports on my Panasonis Viera and non seam to work?

Hooking up surround sound to HDTV & cable box with one hdmi on receiver [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to hook up my comcast hd cable box , my vizio hdtv and my panasonic sound system using hdmi cables. The sound system has only 1 hdmi connection out. Does this mean I have to use an optical cable somewhere and if so from the cable box to the receiver and then the HDMI from the receiver to the...

View more questions Search