Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jtbunny33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Prolonged grief
    I can't seem to move on since my most beloved friend died unexpectedly. The only love I ever knew was from this being and living without him seems like an insurmountable challenge. It's been almost 2 years. I have a toddler to model happiness for, so I am extremely troubled by this. I do not have the money for a therapist and after decades of getting therapy, they don't really seem to help very much. I believe love unites beings eternally so I know I will be with him when I die, but at 40 that seems way too long. Does anyone have any helpful advice because I feel crippled from continuing life as a productive and happy person. Thank you.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Look for a grief support group. Many hospitals offer them for free. These groups can be very helpful.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Is he the father of the new life, the child?
    Two years is an eternity in some ways, yet I don't think it's that long when you are grieving. I'm all for grieving, and have done it, and still am in ways, as I know others here have and are. I don't see that it has to be detrimental to the growth of your child either. Be sure to take deep breaths throughout the day, because we tend to breath too shallowly when depressed, and that makes it worse. I like to be up before the sun because (for me) the change in the sky helps. Talk to him out loud as you do things he liked to do or see things he might like, and laugh a bit about it. Have a shrine-spot somewhere, on top of a bookcase or outside under a tree, with mementos and perhaps a shrub or some bulbs. Ritual helps some people (not I so much). Wear his slippers. Write a biography about him. Make a list of his sayings and favorite jokes. I suppose in a way all of that is a ritual of some sort.
    OH! And don't buy into that whole 'closure' bit. I have no idea who invented that concept, but I think it's destructive. You are now a different person because of your loss, and you have incorporated what happened into this new you, and his memory is a large part of you. If you had been mugged or in an airplane crash, sure, work on closure. But you aren't closing anything on him.

Sep 8, 2013, 11:11 PM
    Thank you both for your thoughtful and kindly prompt responses. Growing up and then drawing to me folks who, in the kindest terms possible, lacked empathy, I am always blown away by complete strangers reaching out to assiste int struggles, out of their love and integrity. Although, I am like to view myself in the same way, it never ceases to amaze me and reconsider my view on humanity. All your suggestions were beautiful and helpful and I have already acted on both. Thank you and God bless you whomever your God may be. Love,Nicole (Jtbunn3)
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Is he the father of the new life, the child?
    Two years is an eternity in some ways, yet I don't think it's that long when you are grieving. I'm all for grieving, and have done it, and still am in ways, as I know others here have and are. I don't see that it has to be detrimental to the growth of your child either. Be sure to take deep breaths throughout the day, because we tend to breath too shallowly when depressed, and that makes it worse. I like to be up before the sun because (for me) the change in the sky helps. Talk to him out loud as you do things he liked to do or see things he might like, and laugh a bit about it. Have a shrine-spot somewhere, on top of a bookcase or outside under a tree, with mementos and perhaps a shrub or some bulbs. Ritual helps some people (not I so much). Wear his slippers. Write a biography about him. Make a list of his sayings and favorite jokes. I suppose in a way all of that is a ritual of some sort.
    OH! And don't buy into that whole 'closure' bit. I have no idea who invented that concept, but I think it's destructive. You are now a different person because of your loss, and you have incorporated what happened into this new you, and his memory is a large part of you. If you had been mugged or in an airplane crash, sure, work on closure. But you aren't closing anything on him.
    Wow. Just wow! I was going to comment but there is no need to when someone post something so personal and so meaningful. Wow!

Sep 9, 2013, 10:15 AM
    Sorry for the misspellings. I do have a graduate degree, but exhaustion from caring for a toddler seems to override editing prowess!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 9, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Misspellings? Editing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overwhelming grief [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry. My brother was my best friend and I meant we did everything together growing up. He was my go to person as well as my uncle who died in November. The two men in my life that I counted on have died within 8 months and I am in a black hole. I don't know how to face it or accept it or believe...

Grief [ 4 Answers ]

My friend was separated from her husband, but still married, when he was fatally injured in an automobile collision. She is having a hard time with his accidental death and wonders if she could have done something different in her relationship that would have prevented his death. Thank you

Grief and meaning of life [ 7 Answers ]

Since my sister in law passed away(August 15) I have been questioning and full of guilt. I feel guilty because we could not afford to fly home until the funeral and were not in the hospital with her before she passed. My brain tells me we could not do it financially but I still feel bad that I...

Drowning in Grief [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'll try to make this short... My grandmother raised me and we have always had a very special bond.I always knew I would take her death hard and even went so far as to tell her that when she died she would have to somehow come to me and let me know she was around.Well two weeks after we...

View more questions Search