Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jscott7167 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 02:23 PM
    Huge ant? I found this ant in my pool it's about 4 inches long red legs,mid section
    All red mid and head bottom part of body is Black and Tan he is as bigot bigger than a field mouse
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Do you have a picture?

Also, where do you live (State, Province, etc. not exact address).

Sep 7, 2013, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Do you have a picture?

Also, where do you live (State, Province, etc.,not exact address).
    Reno Nevada at the base of peavine mountain I have a pic on my iPhone but don't know how to get it on this sit
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jscott7167 View Post
    Reno Nevada at the base of peavine mountain I have a pic on my iPhone but don't know how to get it on this sit
    I can give instructions on how to post a picture from your computer, but Iphones are like sanskript to me.

Can you download the picture to your computer?

If so, here's a link with instructions on how to post a picture on this site. :)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/h...re-678901.html

Sep 7, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Huge ant
    I want to send pics of this thing but need another way as I only have my iPhone at this time additionally I have been killing on avg. 8 scorpions a night and they always show up after the green cattepillar type worms show up all this after 40 years here without seeing this before, very strange to me

Sep 7, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Response to alty
    Also I have the body intact of this big ant it's in pool water should I freeze it and also I wanted to say this big ant comes after weeks of 1 to 1 1/2 inches long ants that look the same only way smaller have been patrolling my house and have never been here
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Jscott, I have a friend that's a world renowned entomologist, he lives in California. I can send him some of the info you posted, but a picture would be best.

I'm really hoping that someone will be able to give you advice on how to post a picture from your phone. Me, I can't help with that, I don't even have a cell phone, much less an iPhone.

Please bear with us. Even once I get the picture, it could take days before my friend sees it and gives me an answer. Sadly, that's the nature of finding real answers online, it's not always instant.

I will send him an email with the info you've posted so far, and hope that he can give a few possibilities. But again, it won't be instant. He works, he travels, he doesn't check his email daily. So it could take a while.

I wish I could help more.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 7, 2013, 06:08 PM
    That sounds a lot like a Carpenter ant, although the sizes documented are less than 4 inches. I have seen 2 inch ants.

This link has some info you might wish to look at:
    Ant - Camponotus vicinus - BugGuide.Net

Here's another pic. Is this similar?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of ant is red with black stripes around its body? [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of ant is red fuzzy type with black stripe around its body?

Looks like an ant with wings [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small insect that looks like an ant with wings , its crawling on my floor it will fly low .

Identification of Ant [ 1 Answers ]

The Australian ant was purplish-blue, about one inch long and had light blue wings almost as long as its thorax and abdomen. What was it?

How do you get rid of huge ant mounds [ 1 Answers ]

We have several huge ant mounds surrounding our property. How can we get rid of them?

View more questions Search