Ask
    milodel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 01:56 PM
    Can I convert hot water tanks from natural gas to propane
    Can a hot water tank be converted from natural gas to propane
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2013, 02:01 PM
    You have to change the gas pressure regulator and the orifice... so assuming you can find the correct parts , then it can... but that doesn't mean you can with ALL of them.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2013, 02:17 PM
    To convert from natural gas to propane . All you need to do is to replace the natural gas orifice to a propane one. Contact the brand name company and request a propane orifice. Good luck, Tom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    To convert from natural gas to propane . All you need to do is to replace the natural gas orifice to a propane one. Contact the brand name company and request a propane orifice. Good luck, Tom
    No regulator change or adjust?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Sep 7, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Your gas company can do this for you. The regulators are sometimes dual use and an adjustment has to be made.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Sep 7, 2013, 05:44 PM
    Absolutely not
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike45plus View Post
    Absolutely not
    Absolutely not what? Just installed a new gas stove. Conversion required screwing the orifices down and flipping the plastic pin in the regulator so the "L " was up. Works fine
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 07:30 AM
    The correct answer here is that water heater fuel conversion is manufacturer specific.

AO smith water heater manufacturers, for example, will allow an authorized service person to convert their tanks from PROPANE to NATURAL GAS using the correct conversion kit, but will NOT allow the conversion of a gas water heater over to propane.

Rheem/Ruud water heater manufacturers, on the other hand readily allow conversion from natural gas to propane (again, using specific conversion kit).

Other water heater manufacturers simply will not allow this kind of conversion... PERIOD!

Although gas to propane conversions are simple on many appliances, water heaters fall into a special category as they are explosive VESSELS... ;)

Milodel, I would suggest that you call the manufacturer of your particular water heater to see if they will allow this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How convert Propane water heater into Natural Gas unit [ 7 Answers ]

How to convert an Propane water heater into Natural Gas? I have Whirlpool unit for LP. It has a regular valve with an adapter for LP. If I remove this adapter, will it then work? Is burner the same or needed to be replace? Is valve had to be replaced and will the thread be the same if IO reinstall ...

Convert propane hot water heater to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if whirlpool makes a kit or can I just change orifice in unit?

Can you convert a Natural Gas Hot water heater to Propane [ 3 Answers ]

WE have a 12 year old Hot water tank that is brand new. Can it be converted to propane and if so how? This tank was donated to a project for a new home that burned down due to a fire so the house is all rebuilt but we got 2 hot water tanks. One N/G and another propane. We need both to work if...

Can I convert my propane water heater to natural gas or electric? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I convert my LP water heater to natural gas or electric?

Converting from propane to natural gas hot water [ 2 Answers ]

Can I convert a commercial Rheem-rudd propane water heater to natural gas >Moved from Forum Help<

View more questions Search