Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Early termination on a business lease agreement
    We have a 30 month business lease with a small town mall. We have been continuously doing business for the last 12 months. The mall has been very quiet and there isn't much foot traffic. It seems that the mall patrons have slowly dwindled over the last few years. Our business is a specialty shop and we don't sell just everyday items. Over the last year, we've tried different marketing and advertising strategies and nothing seems to be working. We are sinking our personal money now for our business expenses. We need to close the business and get out of our lease somehow without having to buy-out the rest of our lease (18 months) legally. Is there a real and legal solution to this dilemma?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2013, 02:34 PM
    Real and legal? Not sure what you mean... you go by the terms of your lease. If there's no buyout clause, you owe it all. If you can't pay, you negotiate with the landlord, who would probably rather do that than have to sue you, win, watch you file for bankruptcy, and never get paid. Show him your books and see what you can work out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 03:17 AM
    Is this a corporation or do you rent personal.

But your only way out, is what the lease says. The lease protects you, so they can not evict or raise rates. But it also protects mall, so they will be paid for life of lease.

Did you do business trends, check with traffic flow over last few years ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early Business Lease Termination [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 3 year lease and are 1 year into the lease can the landlord foreclose on our home because of our business lease?

Early Termination of Business Lease [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a lease in California---this is second office for my business. We have asked for an early temrination from the landlords because we have been paying the rent late for the past 3-4 months. Do I have any legal grounds for early termination--?

Early Termination of Lease Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently under lease agreement (State of Florida). I unfortunately have lost my job and cannot find another. Therefore, I am unable to afford to continue to reside here. I am left with no other alternatives (due mainly with the economy) but to relocate back home to family. What legal...

Early Business Lease termination [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know If my landlord or his real estate agent cheated me when I signed a 2 years Business Lease agreement on a property ,in the form there was no mention of "Early Lease Termination" I signed the contarct for 2 years and after 3-4 months my business did not grow due to poor Location I...

Early termination lease agreement [ 2 Answers ]

I leave in Florida /Orlando and my employee just transfer me to NY they give a letter where show that I need to move to NY, but my land lord said that on the lease agreement don’t have nothing that aloud me to move without penalty, my question is: If in Florida have any law that guaranteed me, the...

View more questions Search