Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MD9899 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
    New Job/Sisters Wedding-Possible Trouble?
    I've recently taken a job with the USPS as a letter carrier I am 20 years old and with no college degree this is a wonderful oppurtunity that some wait years for. Now that Im officially hired with a start date of 04/16 I've got a possibly HUGE problem. The USPS is very strict about tardiness/abscenses in your first 90 days. During the interview process I was very nervous/excited about getting the job and didn't remember to request May 19th (my sisters wedding day) off. My question is If I can't get the day off what should I do?? Possibly sacrifice a once in a lifetime chance CAREER by not going to work/calling out. Or should I not go to the wedding? I feel really bad about this... Please give me any suggestions!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Be honest, talk to your supervisor and see if they first will let you have the day for a wedding of your sister.

After that, it will be your choice if you give up a career for her wedding.
    I personally have missed many events, for my carrer, but then many won't, McDonlds is always hireing if you lose that job.
    ncgirl_21 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Mar 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
    I would speak to whom ever you had your interview with and just explain to them that you was excited and nervous and forgot to mention the fact that your sisters wedding was comeing up and you would like to be able to attend I'm sure they will understand don't stress too much at this point just be sure and contact them asap.
    gypsy456 Posts: 319, Reputation: 48

Mar 29, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MD9899
    I've recently taken a job with the USPS as a letter carrier I am 20 years old and with no college degree this is a wonderful oppurtunity that some wait years for. Now that Im officially hired with a start date of 04/16 I've got a possibly HUGE problem. The USPS is very strict about tardiness/abscenses in your first 90 days. During the interview process I was very nervous/excited about getting the job and didn't remember to request May 19th (my sisters wedding day) off. My question is If I can't get the day off what should I do??? possibly sacrafice a once in a lifetime chance CAREER by not going to work/calling out. Or should I not go to the wedding?? I feel really bad about this... Please give me any suggestions!!!
    Be honest and talk to the people who interviewed you.

It's not big deal, I am sure they understand.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2007, 06:41 AM
    I would work your first week and work hard trying to impress your supervisor. After the first week, go to the supervisor with a copy of the invitation, and ask if you can switch shifts with someone or switch days off.

I doubt if you will have a problem. If asked why you didn't mention it sooner, explain that you were so excited about this career opportunity it slipped your mind.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 06:49 AM
    And if you come back tot his site, let us know what happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for my sisters father, Nolan Sigmund [ 4 Answers ]

His name is Nolan Sigmund. He was in Virginia in 1959 to 1960. He attended Taylorsville Baptist Church in Doswell. He was said to have returned to Georgia around February 1960. My sister found out she was adopted when our mother, Bonnie Martin Blount, passed away. Any info that is helpful would be...

My sisters [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have two sisters the same age as me (15) a few years ago they both tried to kill themselves, now this year one of them tried again. They are both adopted (twins) so that might have something to do with it. I was just wondering do you reckon it'll pass, maybe its just them trying to be...

Foreign Film... Sisters? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been trying to figure out the title of this film for months and can't do it, nor does my crummy description jog anyone else's memory. Hoping someone here can help. This was (I believe) a foreign film from the last 8 years or so. In it, there are two sisters, the main character is some...

Inherited house 3 sisters [ 2 Answers ]

3 sisters inherited mother's house - no mortgage. 1 sisters wants to buy and live in the house. Another sister is willing own 1/3 of house but not live in the house. The sister who will live in the house will buy out the third sister. Question is the sister who owns 1/3 of the house - what taxes is...

I'm looking for my older brother and sisters. [ 3 Answers ]

The last time I saw Naomi, Caroline and Mani was at my fathers funeral, 20 years ago. I do think about them a lot especially now I'm older. I don't understand why they never stayed in touch, Naomi promised me she would stay in touch but never did. We had the same father but different Mum's....

View more questions Search