Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nykkyo Posts: 132, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 05:48 PM
    If the Earth is a centrifuge (rotating mixed masses)
    Like separating heavier bodies from lghter ones in a centrifuge, why does iron and heavier masses seek the center of the rotatiing Earth? Physically shoud the heavier mass be thrown to the circumference?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2013, 05:58 PM
    Look at the speed centrifuges rotate at.

Then make a consideration of how gravity works...
    nykkyo Posts: 132, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Look at the speed centrifuges rotate at.

Then make a consideration of how gravity works...
    This scenario dictates the Earth may be hollow. Gravity and physics may not be exactly as we conceive. In that case, what we refer to as modern physics may be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. Is it possible that the iron we think is at the center of the Earth is held together by a force that exceeds the equal and opposite force of centripetal force.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2013, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nykkyo View Post
    This scenario dictates the Earth may be hollow. Gravity and physics may not be exactly as we conceive. In that case, what we refer to as modern physics may be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. Is it possible that the iron we think is at the center of the Earth is held together by a force that exceeds the equal and opposite force of centripetal force.
    Why would you think that the earth is hollow? Seismology would suggest the opposite.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 06:05 AM
    Its obvious why the "centrifuge efffect" has no bearing - and smoothy hit it on the head. Think about it for a second - if the earth rotated fast enough to cause denser metals inside the core to overcome gravity and rise, then that would mean it rotates so fast that you could not stand on the surface of the earth without being thrown off into space. So clearly the "centrifuge effect" is much, much less significant than the force of gravity.

But for fun let's do the math. At the surface of the earth acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Let's compare that to the centripetal acceleration due to the earth's rotation, which is calculated from , where is the rotational velocity of the earth:

Given the radius of the earth being about 6360 Km, the centripetal acceleration at the surface of the earth is:

Thus the "centrifuge effect" is about 1/300 as strong as gravity. That's why you don't fly off the earth and that's why denser metals tend to sink in the earth's core.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 Masses [ 3 Answers ]

M1 is a spherical mass (43.8 kg) at the origin. M2 is also a spherical mass (15.4 kg) and is located on the x-axis at x = 57.0 m. At what value of x would a third mass with a 11.0 kg mass experience no net gravitational force due to M1 and M2?

Building a centrifuge [ 3 Answers ]

How much torque is needed to rotate 75lbs in a 7.5" diameter basket

Does the earth rotating or not [ 2 Answers ]

Asalamu aleukum dear brothers? My name is sebri bekeri and I am acanadian citizen with the ethiopian back ground. Recently I went to ethiopia to visit my parants and I met with some religious scholar that I know them since my child hood.what made me surprise they come to definite conculusion that...

Mixed baby mixed family emotions [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my name is heather and I'm 20 years old I just found out that I'm pregnant I'm white and my boyfriend is black. I've dated black guys for a while so you would think that my family would be use to by now well just a few days ago I told my mother that I was pregnant and the first thing she told me...

View more questions Search