Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Sep 5, 2013, 11:46 AM
    Sallie Mae Loans
    This question is on behalf of my sister who is a junior in college:

"How long can a university "wait" to give students their loan money after it's been sent to the school from sallie mae? Is there a legal time frame or are they pretty much just allowed to keep the money as long as they like? My loan was disbursed almost a month ago and I can't get them to speed the process up any despite the fact that I have $200 left to my name and need to pay my rent and buy groceries! The worst part is I am paying interest on money I don't even have yet!"
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2013, 11:51 AM
    You only get it so many times a year and Its usually around the end of the quarter. I think I only got it once or twice a year.
    Expert

Sep 5, 2013, 01:02 PM
    She did the same thing last year, the loans are disbursed twice per year once in the fall and once in the spring at the beginning of each semester. Classes started August 10th, but it hasn't taken this long in other years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 02:29 AM
    Not sure about sallie mae loans, but the federal student loans are done at each semester. There are new rules starting this year, but the university has its own rules, what do they say when you talk to them.
    Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 07:18 AM
    They say that they're 'working on it.'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can sallie mae garnish back pay lump sum from SSDI for defaulted student loan? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just found out that my ssdi was approved. I haven't even received my award letter yet. I have a defaulted student loan and I'm aware they can garnish my monthly check (once I start receiving it.) I'm going to apply to have my student loan discharged for total and permanent disability but it...

Garnishment of SSD by Sallie Mae [ 1 Answers ]

I started receiving SSD February 2011. Sallie Mae started taking out 15%. In December they did not take any out. Do you know why? Is there a limit on the number of consecutive months they can garnish before taking a break, and if so, how long is the break?

Sallie Mae Summons [ 7 Answers ]

Being under employed and unable to make full payments to Sallie Mae monthly, I have been religiously making monthly payments of 150.00 in good faith for a few years now. Sallie Mae has ignored requests to show where these payments are being applied (as well as their third party debt collectors),...

Can I file a motion to vacate final judgement from Sallie Mae? [ 17 Answers ]

Can I file a motion to vacate final judgement from Sallie Mae. I was not served because the summons was delivered to an address that does not belong to me. I am aware because it's on my credit report. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search