Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poppylouise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 08:51 AM
    Are a priori statements the only valid truth claims?
    Philosophy and ethics- A Priori and A Posteriori
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Sep 5, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Generally speaking apriori statements are universally true and cannot be false.
    For example, "All triangles have three sides" cannot be false, now or into the future.
    "All bachelors and unmarried" is another popular example often used to demonstrate that a statement must be true because the subject and the predicate contain the same information..

It is also argued that synthetic apriori statement are of the same type as apriori statements. By the same, I mean that synthetic apriori statements are universally true and cannot be false.

Basically the answer to your question is, "yes", but there are arguments to say that other statements qualify as being true in terms of universality.

P.S.
    I am assuming that by,"only valid truth claims" you mean universally true. Aposteriori statements are of a different type of truth value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims at show cause defendant claims he will file bancruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

At the show cause hearing, the defendant claimed they will be filing bankruptcy. The magistrate just said OK and scheduled another court appearance. Why did the magistrate not pressure a payment plan as bankruptcy has not yet been filed? Also, justice in America yet again... let me guess, we will...

Is old valid b1/b2 still valid travel doc if new h4 is stamped? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen currently in the US on h4 visa valid until 1st Oct 2009. My husband is currently on an h1b. I also have a stamp of b1/b2 valid till 2013 (the stamp has not been cancelled or striked out) on my older passport. (both the visa's were stamped on my older passport, since...

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Tenant Claims Lease Is Not Valid [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am managing only one property in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma for a friend of the family and today one of the tenants told me over the phone the lease is not valid because I am not a real estate professional. (1) Is this tenant's statement invalid and (2) can I have the tenants evicted for...

View more questions Search