Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klock60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Adding a Network Switch to an existing network.
    Background: I currently have a Cisco Switch Catalyst 6513 and want to move to the Juniper EX4200. We just received our test EX4200. I want to test it out with our phone system.

I want to add it to the network but don't want to disrupt it. I don't want it to try to take over as the primary switch.

What can I do to make sure that everything won't get messed up. (trunk, Spanning Tree?? )

Thanks for the help,

Kevin
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 8, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klock60;
    What can I do to make sure that everything won't get messed up.
    In a word - planning.

If you have the resources, duplicate the relevant portions of your production network in a lab environment for testing with the new switch to validate the configuration before actual deployment. Otherwise, schedule a test session on the production network during minimal load. Save the current switch configs and meticulously prepare new configs for both switches so that the new switch takes over the phone bits. Also prepare a test script to walk through that will validate and confirm proper operation. Come test session, upload the new configs, drop the new switch in, and process the test script noting any problems. Restore the original configs and hardware configuration at the end of the test session. Correct any problems with the new configs and try again later.

What's the scope of the network you have? Unless people are using the phone system 24/7 there should be some time after hours to play around with the new switch and phone system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to control network traffic over a shared internet connection in a home network [ 4 Answers ]

I have just setup a LAN at home with the following specifications: A wireless router (linksys wrt120n) connected by an ethernet cable to a desktop server. Desktop server running Windows Server 2008 R2, no antivirus or third party firewall installed yet. Clients on this network are...

How can I change my network connections from existing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! Iam using Quick book accounting package.I have a server & 3 users. I want to install a new accounting package from 1.4.2010. After installing the new package how can I share that to my 3 users? Do I need to create a new net work group? Or can I use the existing Network group to share...

Adding a computer to a network [ 2 Answers ]

In attempting to join a computer with Windows XP Professional to a network, I received the following error message - The user name you typed is the same as the user name you logged in with. That user name has already been tried. A domain controller cannot be found to verify that user name. The...

Networking - adding additional PC to existing network [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an existing Linksys network set up for two PC's. How do I add laptop to the existing network? Thanks in advance for your help here.

View more questions Search