Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acampingwewillg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2013, 05:47 PM
    Panel change 100 to 200 amp plus spa hook up
    Although Im not a licensed electrician, I worked for one in the Pool/Spa electrical field for 15 years and did most of the electrical work including Service changes... this was all in California. My niece wants a Portable Spa installed which will include a service up-grade which she was quoted 4500.00 in New York. Im going back for a wedding and offered to do the Spa hook up to save her some cash but now with the Service change, Im concerned about local codes while applying what I know to be true out here. I don't have any specific questions but Id love to find a knowledgeable person in the greater Long Island area who I could run some questions by regarding local codes and possibly check on my work before and after completion before City/County inspection. Quite frankly, I thought I read that in some area's you Must be licensed to even pull permits? I know, kind of a long winded non specific question to ask. Thank you for any input.

Sep 4, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Obviously the "consult" on site would be fee based... just wanted to add that. Thanks
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 05:55 PM
    "Greater Long Island" is a really big area. From what I know most of LI requires a license to do any work at all. Thing is, pretty much every locality has their own license.

Sep 6, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    "Greater Long Island" is a really big area. From what I know most of LI requires a license to do any work at all. Thing is, pretty much every locality has their own license.
    It's the Massepequa area... I realized L.I. was a tad vague when I posted considering the size. I think Ill offer to do the grunt work and whatever other items Im sure about and let a licensed electrician do the rest. She'll have to be happy with that... lol Thank you for your quick reply.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Sep 7, 2013, 04:53 PM
    Any municipality that falls within Metropolitan NY Requires a Licensed contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

Main 200 amp. Installing a 200 amp sub-panel. Wire size jumper to connect(2 /100 amp) [ 1 Answers ]

Installing a 200 amp.sub-pane (type D- Hom), the main panel is 200 amp.also, I'm using 2 /100 amp. Breakers. My question is : what wire size do I need for the jumper to connect the two breakers. I'm using #2 X3 and #4 ground wire to connect the sub-panel, do I need the same#2 for the jumper? Or...

100 amp main, 100 amp service wire, 200 amp sub panel? [ 2 Answers ]

I am moving my sub panel and upgrading to a 200 amp service, but in phases. The first phase is to move the panel due to some remodeling. I want to put a 200 amp panel in the laundry room with a 200 amp breaker. I have 100 amp feeder wire going to it (AL 2/2/2). Outside I have the meter can and...

Change 100 amp to 200 amp panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older cottage with a 100 amp fuse panel.I would like to change over to a 200 amp breaker panel.Can I install the 200 amp panel along side the old one , change over my wiring to it then run the main incoming power to the main breaker of the 200 panel ?I also want to run power to a new...

View more questions Search