Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaywalker1981 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 07:33 PM
    hvac blower noise
    Hi,

The blower for my HVAC started producing a noise a couple of weeks back. The noise is continuous once the blower motor is energized(and starts the moment the motor fires up). It goes away immediately once I turn the blower off(even though the blower wheel is still turning).

The noise is a continuous low pitched ticking noise. Its almost like the noise you would hear from a diesel noise. I have uploaded the video clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBUt4pebf4Q

I checked the capacitor and it was reading 9.18 UF. The capacitor is rated at 10UF with +/- 6%. Could the capacitor be the problem?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2013, 06:23 PM
    Sorry, I couldn't hear anything unusual in the clip.

Sep 7, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Hi Grady,

I uploaded another clip where it's a closeup. Can you give a listen to this. If this still isn't helpful to you, I will go into my attic to make a clip of my other unit. Unfortunately, because my attic is unfinished, it's a bit of a project climbing in it.

By the way I swapped out the capacitor with a new capacitor and the unusal noise is still there.

You can find the new clip here: September 7, 2013 6:49 PM - YouTube
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
    I don't know if I'm hearing the same thing as you but it sounds like metal vibrating. Make sure the mounting screws for the blower & motor are tight. You can also try holding your hand against various places on the furnace cabinet to see if the noise stops.

Sep 11, 2013, 12:00 AM
    Il troubleshoot it some more tomorrow. I tried pressing different spots on the housing but the noise was consistent. The one contraindication is that the noise goes away immediately on motor shutoff(even thought the blower cage is spinning at a good clip). Won't that suggest its not a mechanical/vibration noise?
    dewey066 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 02:56 AM
    I would first check to see if the air filter is clean. Then check (after shutting the power off) to make sure that there is nothing that got sucked into the blower wheel itself.

Is it possible that the heat and air are running at the same time? Sounds like it is firing.

Can you stop the unit and start it in another video so we can hear the difference... hard to hear what you are - sounds like a blower running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC noise at returns [ 0 Answers ]

I have loud returns and I was hoping somebody could take a look at this and give suggestions on reducing the noise. Three Story House Approx 2100 sq foot between 1st & 2nd Floor: Unfinished Basement: Comfortmaker system. Filter right by blower. Return splits with one going to 1st floor and...

HVAC Blower Noise Problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have questions about our noise problem coming from our HVAC blower. We have the return and air flow going straight into the blower (about 12 inches or so of duct work between the blower and return grill): 1. What angle should I have the sheet metal baffle? It seems as if this is the best...

Hvac blower fan [ 2 Answers ]

My blowe fan started humming and shuts off after about a minute. Condenser unit is working fine. Just recently replaced condenser fan and Dual capacitior outside.

HVAC furnace noise [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fairly new house 2years old , the intake -exhaust from the furnace runs through the attic , through a 3" pvc concentric , everything works fine , however there is a "tapping"noice that comes from the concetric as the pipe heats up , its fairly loud because it echoes in the exhaust pipe ,...

HVAC Vent Noise [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had my HVAC system replaced and now I am having a problem with the noise being generated by the room vents. It is probably because this newer system (the previous was >30yo) has a stronger fan motor and is forcing the air through the vents faster. It is really annoying and wakes us in...

View more questions Search