Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misc1234us Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Moving 401k funds to rollover IRA while still employed at the same company
    Hi,
    I was told that you can withdraw your retirement funds and then get them back in within 60 days and not have to pay any penalties. If this is correct, does this mean that I can withdraw my 401k funds and move them into a rollover IRA within 60 days without any penalties?

Thanks in advance for your time,
    Sam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Sam:

Yes, that is true, but it is better to let the custodian send the money DIRECTLY to the IRA and NOT through you. Otherwise, they may withhold 20% for taxes which you would have to make up from other income to avoid any taxes, then wait until you file your tax return to get the withholding back.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Actually - 401(k) plans may vary from employer to employer, but I'm pretty sure that most (perhaps all?) do not allow you to roll money out to an IRA while you are still employed there. You can only roll the money to an IRA after you have left the employment of the company. I suggest you check with your administrator verify whether you are locked in as long as you are in the payroll.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rollover 401k to Australia? [ 7 Answers ]

Do you know if it's possible to rollover a 401k plan to Australia without being taxed or without penalty? I have roughly $9000 in my 401k and want to know the best thing to do with this money when I move back to Australia permanently. I don't want to be penalized/taxed 30% and would like to keep...

401K rollover problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 401K and quit to work for another company which doesn't offer 401K, I tried calling my former employer several times to roll my 401K into an investment of my choice but my former employer refused my phone calls, has since been sold to another company and now my 401K has rolled over into...

IRA Rollover [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here done an ira rollover of their retirement savings? It says in the article "IRA Rollover is you taking up responsibility of your retirement savings account for upto 60 days before reinvesting it into a new retirement plan" How did the process work? What broker did you deal with?...

View more questions Search