Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mep101 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Pump starts running the second the water is turned on
    The very second the taps at home are turned on the pump instantly starts running. There is no lag time between the taps being turned on and the pump kicking in. It's asthough no pressure whatsoever is being built up in the pressure tank. I've tried adjusting the pressure swicth to fix this problem, but no luck. Also every few minutes the gauge on the pump shows a drop in the pump's pressure and then the pump starts to run until the pressure is built back up. Then it starts over again. What could be wrong? I'd appreciate some help.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 2, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Sounds like your pressure tank is water logged. Depending on what type of tank it is, it can either be drained, or will need to be replaced.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2013, 06:07 PM
    Also every few minutes the gauge on the pump shows a drop in the pump's pressure and then the pump starts to run until the pressure is built back up.
    I agree with MGD, but let me add this. What you are describing above, if this is happening consistently when no water is being used, is generally a bad check valve which is allowing water to flow back into the well every time the pump cuts off. Could also be leak between the tank and the house, but that is usually noticeable. It could even be a leaking toilet, but that would require several gallons a minute to leak through which doesn't sound likely.

Is your pump in the well or above ground? Can you see a CV above ground?

Sep 2, 2013, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Is your pump in the well or above ground? Can you see a CV above ground?
    Thanks for the advice so far. The pump is above ground and so is the tank. The inlet and outlet of the pump are 1'' but have been reduced to 3/4'', I don't know if that matters.. There is a 3/4'' pvc check valve connected to the line feeding from the tank to the pump and another one on the line leading from the pump to the house.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Watch your gauge when no water is being used. If pressure is falling, then the water in the tank has to be going somewhere. The most likely culprit is that CV on the line going into the well. I'd replace the CV first (if the above test points that way), and then see if the problem is solved. Might not be. At that point, you start looking at the more expensive fix which is the tank.

Sep 4, 2013, 04:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Sounds like your pressure tank is water logged. Depending on what type of tank it is, it can either be drained, or will need to be replaced.
    Thanks for the advice.

Sep 4, 2013, 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Watch your gauge when no water is being used. If pressure is falling, then the water in the tank has to be going somewhere. The most likely culprit is that CV on the line going into the well. I'd replace the CV first (if the above test points that way), and then see if the problem is solved. Might not be. At that point, you start looking at the more expensive fix which is the tank.
    Thanks, I'll follow your advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

With the water turned off, why does the outdoor spicket still have water running? [ 1 Answers ]

I have all of the water turned off from the main line. Yet the outside spigot still has a steady flow of water running from it. What could be the problem??

When water is turned on Pump cycles on and off before pressure builds back up [ 5 Answers ]

Ok this is a new system Wellsaver Tank LPT-20 up right tank, and WaterAce RTS7 pump. Water Pressues is great and even with the pump cycling on and off still have great water pressure. This is my vac home and when I installed it last year it work great right out of box. The voltage...

Inducer motor starts running, but ignition never starts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Payne Gas forced air furnace, and it's behavior has changed in the last couple of days, where it never gets past the Inducer motor cycle. When we turn on the thermostat (or even jumper across the "R" and "W" leads on the furnace controller) the inducer motor starts running and keeps...

View more questions Search