Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lmac0407 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Tiny black bugs
    We have tiny black bugs coming from the bottom of the baseboard in our family room. My first thought was they were ants but a closer look, they aren't. We spray with bug spray every day & at least 20 come out dead everyday.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 30, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Can you get pictures of them and post them here? Also, a general idea of where you are would help.

Aug 30, 2013, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Can you get pictures of them and post them here? Also, a general idea of where you are would help.
    I live in Arizona. I have a picture but don't know how to post it. Please advise
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 30, 2013, 09:42 PM
    Sounds like some form of Carpet Beetles. They are harmless and won't damage your house.

To get rid of them, it appears that thorough cleaning is the answer. Clean and wipe down the area that they are coming from. Make sure there is no food source or water sitting there for them.

To post a picture, you go to the advanced option and then select "Manage Attachments". From there you select how you want to upload a photo. In this case, I don't think you really need to do that now.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 31, 2013, 03:18 AM
    If they are carpet beetles, your bug spray is only treating the symptom. Aerosols don't penetrate deeply enough to get to the nap of the carpet where the eggs and larvae are. Neither does vacuuming. A carpet shampooer might do it.

You might see what Penn State has to say about the Black Carpet Beetle
    Black Carpet Beetle — Entomology — Penn State University

The pictures on that link don't really show size, this does:
    Attached Images

Aug 31, 2013, 08:35 AM
    I don't have carpeting. They are coming from the baseboard onto laminate flooring. I've attached a picture
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 31, 2013, 10:08 AM
    Those get a little blurred when I enlarge the pic enough for ID, but my best guess would be a Lyctid Powderpost Beetle. Laminate flooring is not immune to their attacks, and the sub-floor could be alive with them. Call an exterminator for an identification and an estimate on treating for them. Here's a little background so you know what they're talking about:
    Controlling Wood-Boring Beetles in Houses : College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences : Clemson University : South Carolina

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very tiny black bugs [ 3 Answers ]

I see them on my tiles carpets and every where.. what are they?

Tiny Black Bugs... Help [ 3 Answers ]

I started getting bites on my arms , legs, thighs, arms ,and back when I wake up in the morning.. I went to the doctor and they said they are bug bites and I am having a reaction and that I need to find out what kind of bug it is. It starts with a little pain then itches. I noticed today a very...

Tiny black bugs [ 2 Answers ]

I have hundreds of tiny black bugs in my bathtub and sink. The are only about 1/8 inch long with about 6 or 8 legs. The body is oval with a point at one end and two little curving antennae (?) coming out from the point. I live in the high desert area of Southern California and I've just started...

View more questions Search