Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunshine4014 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Too much aspirin?
    I just took some headache medicin & alka seltzer together. I didn't know alka seltzer had aspirin too. I started getting a little dizzy not long after taking it. All of it together was 1150 mg of aspirin. I took them because I have a headache & stuffy nose. I'm not sure if it's allergies or a cold coming on. Was 1150 mg of aspirin too much? Is that why I'm dizzy?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 30, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Drink as much fluids as you can, something weak, or plain water. You'll be OK.

Yep, read those labels! Just about everything for pain, aches, etc contains one of 3 types of generics:
    Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin)
    Acetaminophen (Tylenol etc)
    Ibuprofin (Motrin etc)
    Naproxin (Aleve)

Write these down and keep them in your purse so you can compare. Aspirin is noted for being good for the heart in small doses, but for causing burns in the stomach if taken a lot in large amounts. Ibuprofin can be hard on the kidneys and liver, as can Tylenol, although in general Tylenol is considered a bit safer. All but aspirin may increase heart/vascular problems. In other words, they are ALL to be considered very carefully before taking.

Aug 30, 2013, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Drink as much fluids as you can, something weak, or plain water. You'll be OK.

Yep, read those labels! Just about everything for pain, aches, etc contains one of 3 types of generics:
    acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin)
    acetaminophen (Tylenol etc)
    ibuprofin (Motrin etc)
    naproxin (Aleve)

Write these down and keep them in your purse so you can compare. Aspirin is noted for being good for the heart in small doses, but for causing burns in the stomach if taken a lot in large amounts. Ibuprofin can be hard on the kidneys and liver, as can Tylenol, although in general Tylenol is considered a bit safer. All but aspirin may increase heart/vascular problems. In other words, they are ALL to be considered very carefully before taking.
    The dizziness only lasted for a very short time. Considering my other symptoms, I believe I'm having allergy problems. That dizzy spell might have been my allergies. Seems like if it was the aspirin it would've lasted a lot longer than that. But I'm no expert lol that's why I'm on here ;)
    current pert

Aug 30, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine4014 View Post
    The dizziness only lasted for a very short time. Considering my other symptoms, I believe I'm having allergy problems. That dizzy spell might have been my allergies. Seems like if it was the aspirin it would've lasted a lot longer than that. But I'm no expert lol that's why I'm on here ;)

I think your instincts might be correct. Are these allergies known, or is this something new you are guessing you have?

Aug 30, 2013, 09:50 AM
    I think your instincts might be correct. Are these allergies known, or is this something new you are guessing you have?
    I've had allergy problems before, not very much. Right now I'm going by my eyes, how they feel. They are a little watery & stinging. Oh & I've taken both of those kinds of medicines before, so I know I'm not allergic to them. I don't know what causes my allergy problems, the normal stuff I guess... dust & pollen. I woke up with a stuffy nose & headache, that's why I took those meds.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 30, 2013, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine4014 View Post
    I don't know what causes my allergy problems, the normal stuff I guess... dust & pollen. I woke up with a stuffy nose & headache, that's why I took those meds.
    I'd wake up stuffy and with a headache every morning. Turned out it was my pillow. Maybe dust mites or whatever synthetic it was stuffed with or both -- was an old pillow. Bought a new one and am doing much better.
    current pert

Aug 30, 2013, 09:57 AM
    I wouldn't take 'headache' medicine and Alka Seltzer for dust and pollen allergies.
    Go to the drugstore and spend a long time reading all the allergy products (mostly antihistamines), starting with Benedryl.
    Trying one type at a time is really the best way to find the best results.

Aug 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'd wake up stuffy and with a headache every morning. Turned out it was my pillow. Maybe dust mites or whatever synthetic it was stuffed with or both -- was an old pillow. Bought a new one and am doing much better.
    Hmm, never thought of that. Thanks, I'll try that :)

Aug 30, 2013, 10:20 AM
    I wouldn't take 'headache' medicine and Alka Seltzer for dust and pollen allergies.
    Go to the drugstore and spend a long time reading all the allergy products (mostly antihistamines), starting with Benedryl.
    Trying one type at a time is really the best way to find the best results.
    Well I was hoping it wasn't allergies, I hate taking Benadryl, it knocks me out. My eyes get dry a lot & of course that can make them to sting. The only time they're watery is with allergies, but they didn't start getting watery until a while after taking meds. Now that I know that it's allergies & not a cold, I'll take Benadryl. I've tried a couple other kinds, but they didn't work. Benadryl was the only one that worked. I don't know what else would work for me, right now I can't afford to wast money trying to find out. Thanks for your help :)
    current pert

Aug 30, 2013, 10:34 AM
    I'm 66 and never had an allergy until about 5 years ago, when my eyes and throat started to bother me from pollen and grasses. I don't like spending money on drugstore products either. I splash a lot of water on my face (and just a tiny bit of soap) every time my eyes hurt, and I suck on a menthol cough drop. Cheap!

I wash my pillows periodically. Not sure if that kills mites or not. I wash them because of my dog and cat all over them.

Aug 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
    I'm 66 and never had an allergy til about 5 years ago, when my eyes and throat started to bother me from pollen and grasses. I don't like spending money on drugstore products either. I splash a lot of water on my face (and just a tiny bit of soap) every time my eyes hurt, and I suck on a menthol cough drop. Cheap!

I wash my pillows periodically. Not sure if that kills mites or not. I wash them because of my dog and cat all over them.
    I may try that. Thanks :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aspirin and Pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wife currently takes 325mg of aspirin a day to act as a blood thinner. She was diagnosed with bilateral vertebral artery dissection 2 years ago and was told she will need to take this for the rest of her life. We are currently trying to have a child and was wondering what the risks are...

What will taking 9 aspirin at once do to me? [ 28 Answers ]

Need help please!

Chihuahua's and aspirin [ 4 Answers ]

My chihuahua got an aspirin last night and today he is acting like he can hardly walk. He acts like his back legs are stiff and he drags them. Mostly he is just laying around. Do you think this is a side affect of the aspirin or something else? If it is the aspirin what is the best thing to do...

Aspirin for a 6 yr old doxie [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I took my Dachshund to the vet for his shots. The day before I took him in he just started moving slowly but still had an appetite and his poop was fine. The vet told me he has a knee problem and to give him ½ a baby aspirin when he is in pain. The first day the ½ baby aspirin worked. ...

View more questions Search