Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjgirl19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Boyfriend is stingy? Just doesn't care about me?
    We've been together for 13 months now and my boyfriend's behavior is well, I don't quite know how to put it. He used to be paying for gas, his phone bill, and saving up for a car, etc. I would pay my half and sometimes even his because it was so rough on him. Always being understanding and hoping the situation would change when his situation improved. I always get him very nice gifts and put lots of thought in to them because I want to show him how much I care. He says he wants to marry me.

For our anniversary, I pulled out all the stops and cooked a 3 course dinner and gave him something valuable to add to his collection. Two days before the occasion, he got me a cheap necklace and earrings, probably about $28 dollars if that. I was thoroughly impressed with my christmas gift, until he recently bragged he got it on sale.

Fast forward to now. He was given a brand new car and his phone bill is being paid for all by a family member. He is also receiving 100 a week from them. A full tank of gas costs him 35 dollars. He just bought himself 125 dollar designer sunglasses and still expects me to pay my way. I don't buy name brand stuff, my clothes are from target. He once said that one of the things he loves about me is that I always give him the best I have and I do.

What am I supposed to think of all of this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 29, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Don't be jealous his family has helped him, and why should that change the plan between you. Ask him to share if you think he is unfair. What do you think is fair? I bet you like riding in his brand new car right?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
    'He once said that one of the things he loves about me is that I always give him the best I have and I do.'

Giving is an act that ends the moment you hand it over. You don't follow up on it, you don't tally them all up, you don't expect anything in return. If you do, it's not a true gift.

So if this bothers you, why haven't you stopped giving? Try being like him for a change, and if that doesn't work, break up.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
    Either you let it get to you and break up, or you say something OR you just get a cheap mentality attitude and don't go all out for him nor expect anything from him.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 29, 2013, 09:18 AM
    When you give your all, save some to be good to yourself too.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 29, 2013, 01:23 PM
    I had to check my calendar to make sure the year was 2013.

Since when is it expected that he has to pay for everything, or that you are some sort of judge with regard to how he spends his money, or how he earns his money, or who gives him money?

You are not married! You've been dating this guy for only 13 months! He is unwittingly being the subject of your expectations, and apparently he's not living up to them.

Pay your own way, and expect him to pay his own way. Don't expect him to equal, in his gift to you, what the cost of a three course dinner and expensive gift cost, or be critical when it doesn't add up.

And, you should be gracious, and accept ANY gift- no matter what the cost, as though it was as important as the Queen's diamond, and act accordingly.

Try to see past what you consider to be his shortcomings, and instead look for character that is worth investing in. And I don't mean financially.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby on the way and boyfriend is stingy? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are expecting a baby in December, We are considering moving in together, but he asked me to pay the rent and said he would pay the utilities. He also has not offered to pay for any of the doctor visits I've attended, and has mentioned that he would like to take the tax deduction...

Am I over reacting or is my boyfriend being too stingy? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, so I've been dating my boyfriend for a year and 1 month now. I love him to death, everything about our relationship is awesome except one aspect: MONEY. Let me start by saying that I am and have always been a very independent woman and never been needy as far as material things, I have never...

My boyfriend is stingy [ 31 Answers ]

Hi, well, I have been seeing this guy very cute, lovely and mature recently- about two months and I had a great time with him, now it's the time to make up my mind and see if this relatioship is worth to work on it. Well besides all of the things I like about him, one thing is really bothering me...

Is my boyfriend stingy, or am too picky? [ 18 Answers ]

I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over a month. First things first, he is sweet, sensitive, and there for me when I physically need him (a ride to the airport, a change of a flat tire etc.) However, there is once concern that I have: money. Going out I would say he pays spends 70% of the...

View more questions Search