Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2005, 02:42 PM
    Leak in new bathroom sink drain
    I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is coming from the portion of the new pipe that connects the section that has the hole on the back for the mechanism that opens and closes the drain and the portion of the pipe that connects to the trap. In other words, there is the part that attaches the pipe to the sink, then (below the threads) is the section that has the open/close mechanism coming out the back (the only way I can explain this section of the pipe is that it is not smooth), and finally there is the smooth part of the pipe that ultimately is attached to the trap. The leak seems to be coming from the seam between the unsmooth part and the smooth part. It seems strange, though, as this is a brand new fitting and there is nothing for me to attach there (i.e. it isn't because I didn't tighten something enough, as this is merely all one piece). Anyone have any suggestions or should I just go buy another drain (despite this one being brand new!)?
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2005, 04:29 PM
    "It appears that the leak is coming from the portion of the new pipe that connects the section that has the hole on the back for the mechanism that opens and closes the drain and the portion of the pipe that connects to the trap."

Open up this connection and make sure the gasket inside is not damaged. I put one in once and the gasket was not in right, it got crushed causing a leak.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2005, 05:11 PM
    Ou know what you are looking at, but sometimes it is hard to describe it in words. Is the leak between 2 different parts of the same piece or between 2 different pieces? If it is one piece, it could have been defective and the store should exchange it for a good one. If it is 2 different pieces, there should be a flange, gasket, and nut on a thread. Remove the nut and examine the gasket. They are easy to damage. If it looks good, try tightening the joint up tighter. It that doesn't fix the problem, a new gasket is cheap, try it again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Leak in new bathroom sink drain
    Quote Originally Posted by scottio
    I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is coming from the portion of the new pipe that connects the section that has the hole on the back for the mechanism that opens and closes the drain and the portion of the pipe that connects to the trap. In other words, there is the part that attaches the pipe to the sink, then (below the threads) is the section that has the open/close mechanism coming out the back (the only way I can explain this section of the pipe is that it is not smooth), and finally there is the smooth part of the pipe that ultimately is attached to the trap. The leak seems to be coming from the seam between the unsmooth part and the smooth part. It seems strange, though, as this is a brand new fitting and there is nothing for me to attach there (i.e., it isn't because I didn't tighten something enough, as this is merely all one piece). Anyone have any suggestions or should I just go buy another drain (despite this one being brand new!)?
    Hey Scott,
    Let's you and I get together on terms.
    Bathroom sink = Lavatory, sinks are in the kitchen
    Lavatory Drain = Pop-up waste
    The pipe that connects to the pop-up and connects to the trap is called a tailpiece.
    Now let's address your leak. Labman and Tommy read your leak as coming out of the nut that has the rod coming out of it that pops the stopper up and down.
    I have a different take on your complaint.
    "The leak seems to be coming from the seam between the unsmooth part and the smooth part."
    If by "seam" you mean the threads between the drain and the pop-up, then go back and teflon tape the threads and try again. Anything else, take a wad of toilet paper and start at the top near the drain and let me know where you first run into moisture.
    If the leak is indeed coming from the nut the rod goes through or the welded seam that that attaches the threads and threaded cap, (the rough part) then the popup's faulty and should be returned for replacement. Good luck, Tom
    chipman75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottio
    I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is coming from the portion of the new pipe that connects the section that has the hole on the back for the mechanism that opens and closes the drain and the portion of the pipe that connects to the trap. In other words, there is the part that attaches the pipe to the sink, then (below the threads) is the section that has the open/close mechanism coming out the back (the only way I can explain this section of the pipe is that it is not smooth), and finally there is the smooth part of the pipe that ultimately is attached to the trap. The leak seems to be coming from the seam between the unsmooth part and the smooth part. It seems strange, though, as this is a brand new fitting and there is nothing for me to attach there (i.e., it isn't because I didn't tighten something enough, as this is merely all one piece). Anyone have any suggestions or should I just go buy another drain (despite this one being brand new!)?
    Hey scott,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I just installed a new sink and drain in my bathroom and I am having the same problem. I don' t understand why it would be leaking from where it is? It should be all one piece. There is no seal in that portion of the drain assembly so there is no way to tighten it or use putty to fix it. I too have checked all the other connections above where it is leaking along with where the stopper arm connects and nothing else is leaking. If you figure out how to fix it please let me know, I really don't want to take it all back out and put another one in. If I figure it out I will let you know.
    Chad
    cypresstx5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 12:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chipman75
    Hey scott,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I just installed a new sink and drain in my bathroom and I am having the same problem. I don' t understand why it would be leaking from where it is? It should be all one piece. There is no seal in that portion of the drain assembly so there is no way to tighten it or use putty to fix it. I too have checked all the other connections above where it is leaking along with where the stopper arm connects and nothing else is leaking. If you figure out how to fix it please let me know, I really don't want to take it all back out and put another one in. If I figure it out I will let you know.
    Chad

I had the same leak happen to me today. Has anyone figured it out??

Steve
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Hey cypressTX:

You are in a post that goes all the way back to 2005.

Repost your question as a new thread.. include all information you can provide us and we will see if we can help.

Thanks... Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Hi Scottio is it possible if you take a picture of it and post indicate where the leak is will help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 5, 2008, 09:10 AM
    You want the guy from Feb 2005 to come post a new picture?? I'm betting he has fixed his leak by now or drown.
    Liteman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
    I had this happen yesterday. I know this is an old post, but I found it...

It was hard to understand how the water could make it through the nut and threaded plastic drain pipe.

I fixed it by loosening the nut that holds the rubber wedge washer up to the bottom of the sink and putting teflon paste on the threads that will be covered by the rubber washer. When I retightened the nut the leak was gone.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Bob I am sorry I meant sypresst.
    Eric1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 05:07 PM
    In case anyone else has this problem, I discovered that what comes as one piece in the package is really two. I have a different brand, but the issue is the same from what I could tell. This video made in clear to me. No where in the directions did they tell me to separate those pieces and reconnect with the teflon tape. It looks like it's all one welded piece. I'm posting the benefit of others who may run into this. See video below.

http://www.keeneymfg.com/installation_videos/20-Sink-Popup
    Eric1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 05:08 PM

I found that what looks like one piece when you buy the assobly is really two. See the video and you will know what I mean even though my brand is different.

Sink Popup — The Keeney Manufacturing Company / PlumbPak

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

Clogged bathroom Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. ...

Bathroom Sink Filling From Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've got quite a situation going here. I own a townhouse, and have a second floor bedroom/bath that is rarely used. About a week ago I went into that bathroom to discover that the sink was full of a coppery colored water, and sediment coated the sink. Apparently it had also overflowed at some...

Replaced faucet and drain in bathroom, LEAK! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I replaced the faucet in my bathroom and it seems to be working OK, however I am getting a leak when I run the water on full blast. The leak is coming from the joint between the drain that came with the faucet and the curved pvc joint that connects to the straight pipe that goes into...

View more questions Search