Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbi07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Blood Test Results
    How can a blood test result for ANA be positive for 10 or more years and then become negative for the last year?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Are you being tested for Lupus? I don't see in my text (Labratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications) that this is possible. You may need a repeat blood test.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Mar 31, 2007, 09:03 PM
    AN ana [ anti nuclear antibody ] test is not specific. That is, there can be plenty of false positives.

The diagnosis of Lupus /sle is made on the basis of your history, if any , of particular symptoms, as well as on more specific lab tests [ such as anti double stranded dna antibodies ] .
    linda r Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2007, 05:41 AM
    The ANA or anti-nuclear antibody test can have varying results. A positive ANA can be caused by a number of things. Sometimes it is a clue that a person has lupus. There is no single definitive laboratory test that indicates lupus, rather if a patient meets 4 or the 11 symptoms set out by the American Coillege of Rheumatology and other conditions have been ruled out, then lupus is a real consideration.

I have lupus. If you tested me right now, I would probably have a negative ANA. Why? The disease is quiet at the moment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can this drug interfere with the results of a blood test [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you jesus helper. I have one more question. If I do happen to be pregnant, the night I would've conceived was the last time I have done cocaine. Would this lessen the chance of conception occurring and also will it have an affect on the result of the blood test if I am? (it being in my system...

Preganancy Test Results During Menstrual [ 3 Answers ]

In some cases I've heard of woman getting their periods and still being preganant. Well my question is, if a young lady has been off her period for about 2 days and takes a preganancy test does her menstrual affect the results of the test?

Showing syptoms but negative test results [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am about 25 yrs old and a mother of one. I have a question for anyone out there who has experience this particual situation. Just to start I am not on any kind of birthcontrol at all. Now I am about 4 days late and I am showing signs of pregnancy i.e... morning sickness, tender breast,...

View more questions Search