Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BradG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Fiberglass Shower Leak
    My second floor fiberglass surround shower is causing a leak from the first floor ceiling. I don't know what to start with to try to fix it. I hope someone can help me.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Fiberglass Shower Leak
    Quote Originally Posted by BradG
    My second floor fiberglass surround shower is causing a leak from the first floor ceiling. I don't know what to start with to try to fix it. I hope someone can help me.
    Hi Brad,
    Is this a one piece shower stall or are there seams where the walls connect to the base? The first order is to find out exactly where the leak originates. Tonight before bed time, remove the strainer and jam some wet rags in the drain to make it water tight. Now fill the base with 3/4" of water. Next morning check for fresh moisture on the ceiling. If there is none then let the water out and check the ceiling again. Still no moisture? If you have seams then the stream from the shower hitting the shower wall would appear to be leaking where the stream hits the shower wall. Caulk the seams with clear silicon and let it cure. Now try it. If none of the above, click on back and we'll go the plan "B". Regards, Tom
    BradG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2005, 08:15 AM
    Fiberglass shower Leak
    Thanks for the quick response Tom. I stuffed the drain ( the water still went down the drain, though slowly) and had some moisture. I caulked everything above where the rags were, waited for it to cure and stuffed the drain again , just to make sure. No more leak! Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Fiberglass Tub/Shower [ 3 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedHi, We purchased a 2 year old Colonial three months ago. Last week, after a bath in the upstairs master bathroom, I notice two lines of wetness (in the drywall seams)on the dining room ceiling which is directly below the master bath. We inspected the tub, and noticed a new crack...

Fiberglass shower/tub removal [ 1 Answers ]

Would like advice/instruction on how to remove a fiberglass all-in-one shower/tub unit. Thanks in advance for help!

Fiberglass shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower leak drain leak. It is caused by the fiberglass cracking around the drain. I need to confirm my process for fixing this problem. 1. Remove old drain. It is a metal with a nut on the bottom. Can't unscrew it because the drain is so loose that it turns in the drain...

Leaky fiberglass shower [ 5 Answers ]

We remodeled our home recently and this included removing a tile shower and replacing it with a fiberglass shower which was on the second floor. The installation was done by a plumber. We noticed it leaking almost from the start. It drips into the room below down the ceiling fan only when my...

Fiberglass Jacuzzi Tub Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drain leak on my fiberglass jacuzzi tub. I have removed the metal drain from the tub and cleaned it, cleaned the rubber washer on top of the PVC drain pipe, and applied a new coat of plumbers putty to the metal drain before reinstalling it. I still have a small leak coming from where the...

View more questions Search