Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
    Over affectionate? Lol
    I doubt this is a problem. But my daughter begged me to ask the askmehelpdesk people for her.

Her cat Oliver, is normally a pretty laid back guy. He is a such a good cat. Sleeps with her every night, cuddles with her, follows her around the house, whenever she isn't home, he calls for her. He is so attached to her. But he isn't a big player. Mostly a big cuddler.

He is healthy, no health problems at all.

But all of a sudden today, he is just BEGGING for love and affection. Meowing for attention, rolling around and soaking up attention.

Its not a bad thing at all. But my daughter is worried because its so different.

Can someone give me an idea of what may cause this in a cat?

Oh, he is not fixed yet, I wanted to wait until he was a year, because I was told that waiting would prevent a behavior change that can happen. I don't know if that's true, but I didn't see the harm in waiting.

He has not started to spray yet.

100% inside cat (he has never seen the light of day short of the day we brought him home as a kitten)

And he is 1 year old as of May so, 1.3 years old lol.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 07:35 PM
    Please get him neutered NOW! He should have been by six-seven months. (He may be smelling the intact girl cats outdoors, and at least is "feeling his oats.") And neutering won't change his personality.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Oh I plan to promise! Its on my list of to dos lol.

I thought that there could be bad side effects from doing it too early, that's why I worried and wanted to wait.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    oh i plan to promise! its on my list of to dos lol.

I thought that there could be bad side effects from doing it too early, thats why i worried and wanted to wait.
    I had my soulcat neutered at seven months. He was MY cat and was into my business as anyone could ever be, plus affectionate and agreeable. He was at the vet's for a few hours for the simple surgery and recovery. When we brought him home, he walked out of the carrier like, "Hey, it was no big deal!! What's for supper?"

Declawing a cat will possibly affect personality (too often pain forever afterward because the first joint of the "fingers" are removed too), but not neutering. We've gotten many cats fixed over the years and have never seen a negative change (only positive ones).
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 22, 2013, 09:09 PM
    It sounds like he's just trying to stake his claim on her time. Maybe he feels like she's been gone for longer stretches or is ignoring him. It could be as simple as smelling other animals on her, or as complex as the season or his age making him react to something unperceivable.

Cats are weird.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2013, 12:41 AM
    Thanks WG.

You know what though, we were at my sisters today, and she has a new dog. I didn't even think that could be it! Maybe he could be jealous! Lol .
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 04:16 AM
    The concern with waiting on a neuter is related to an immature urinary system, at 6 months that is no longer an issue, he is far beyond that point now.
    Along with the other influences mentioned his sexual maturity could be playing a role. You definitely want to get him neutered before he starts marking, that smell is very difficult to get rid of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not so affectionate [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year! I know that he loves me! He says it to me everyday and he's always showing me that he does! With little details! When were together he's very affectionate and our sex life is great! I don't have any complains about him! He loves me respects me...

Why is my boyfriend never affectionate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now and practically lived together since the first month of meeting. He is 34 and I'm 23. Problem is since I can remember he has never been affectionate toward me. No kissing me first, not even a peck! We don't snog (kiss with tongues) ever he says he don't...

Boyfriend not so affectionate [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Thanks for taking the time to read this. I started dating a guy, after breaking up with my boyfriend of 2 years (because he was too nice to me, it's sad, I don't know why it works like that) Unfortunately, I'm not use to not being showered with affection now. I know the...

He wants me to be more affectionate. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I am new to this site so ill start by introducing myself. I am female, aged 19 and live near London. I am going university this year to study graphic design and being a student, I only work part time. My boyfriend is aged 20 and studying illustration at university in London, and we've...

View more questions Search