Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Aug 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
    1998 chevy tahoe leaking fluid
    OK.. I was gone for a couple of days. Came back and tahoe wouldn't start. We condluded it was a battery issue. Even though batteries don't cost much, we have been on a very tight budget... son started college and we've been spending every dime on him right now. So I put the tahoe on hold since we have another vehicle. It has been sitting for several weeks. We have planned on taking care of it in a couple of weeks. Since it has been sitting, I recently noticed one night when lights were shining that there was a large puddle underneath. It appears that the puddle is coming from the center of the vehicle... like between the front and driver seat.. underneath of course. Puddle isn't coming from under the hood.
    The puddle is reddish brownish.. like burnt red.. kind of pretty color..
    It rained recently and in the rain puddles following the leak... the rain puddles are rainbow color.
    Please give me any information on what you think this may be and what I should/can/can't do.
    Thanks so much..

Aug 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
    *concluded

Aug 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
    I touched it and rubbed my fingers in together.. it is slightly watery... slightly oily... and thin... if that helps...

Aug 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
    ... didn't notice a smell, but nose isn't working well right now... I can test again if you have any suggestions...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Transmission fluid.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 06:39 PM
    It sounds like coolant/antifreeze or possibly transmission fluid.

You will have to check the coolant level and see if it's low.

Aug 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
    I thought antifreeze was green
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 07:58 PM
    Dirty antifreeze is reddish if there is rust in it. GM antifreeze (Dexcool) is red as well.

Aug 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
    If it's transmission can I just check the dipstick and pour some in?. and go about my business driving as usual and check every so often or do I need to do something else. I never noticed a leak before and was driving it every day... and now all of the sudden a big puddle of the stuff...

Aug 22, 2013, 08:00 PM
    OK thank you odinn
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 08:01 PM
    Transmission needs to be running and warmed up to check the fluid level.

Aug 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
    ... and if it is coolant do I just put more in? I do remember having a leak in the coolant section and when I got my oil change one of the guys put a sealer in it... that was several years ago..

Aug 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
    OK thank you.. I found a good informational page on internet on how to check it..
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 25, 2013, 03:41 PM
    The vehicle sat, correct? Is it the first time is sat without being used for that long. What has happened is the gasket around the pan of the transmission has begun to dry out, and fluid is leaking from the transmission. You really should not check the Tranny fluid with the engine cold but, pull the dip stick and check it anyway,, there may be a mark that says "FULL/COLD". If it is at that mark, it's probably fine. You must remember, oil spreads out on surfaces especially a blacktop or paved driveway. A Table spoon of oil can look like three quarts especially if there is water around,, oil spreads on water and it is a false indicator of a bad leak. Ih fluid ppes a dark brownish red, it does need o be changed and at the time that is done, a new gasket is installed. I does not sound like a major leak.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
    PS: That "battery issue could really be as simple as dirty battery connections. Clean them really well then jump start the truck and see what happens.

Aug 25, 2013, 06:25 PM
    OK thanks so much for your replies.. I'm still patiently waiting to take care of this.. we have been so very busy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Chevy Tahoe Steering Issues [ 5 Answers ]

When I am driving along a curvy road whether it be a slight curve or major curve, which ever direction I have the steering wheel, it will suddenly pull/jerk to that side as if someone is grabbing and pulling it. So if I am curving to the left, the steering will jerk to the right. Any ideas what...

Chevy Tahoe 1999 A/C works off and on [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C kicks on after about an hour driving. If I'm lucky, sometimes it will kick on before that. Sometimes it works right away. Some days it doesn't work at all. Oh let me clarify... it blows air just fine, just hot air, and then finally the cold air comes through. My heat works just fine. ...

Window in my 2007 chevy tahoe [ 0 Answers ]

One day I get in my tahoe and without warning the driver rear window won't roll up or down its dead. Drivers door switch won't work and rear door switch won't work, but all the other windows work fine I can't believe it would be the motor the truck is almost brand new.I really don't want to take it...

A/C problems on 2004 Chevy Tahoe [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C was working intermittently until I had a new battery put in yesterday, now all it does is blow hot air. BTW, I noticed that the condenser is cold.

2003 Chevy tahoe seat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. When I try to move the seat up, it goes back. Also, when I try to move the seat back it won't do anything. Sometimes when I move the little nob, to move the seat, it doesn't never do anything! My wife and I can't reach the peddles. HELP! Thanks = )

View more questions Search