Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liberato Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 11:54 AM
    Document allowing cremation when next of kin will not sign
    My long-time companion died on July 14th and he requested to be cremated. The funeral director informed me that I could not sign by needed his next of kin which would be his son and daughter. They have not responded to telephone calls or letters. Can I go to probate court and fill out some sort of petition to have a judge authorize me as next of kin. I would appreciate your assistance. Thanks. The matter would be in Salem Probate Court, Salem, MA
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
    You can't be named "next of kin," but it may be possible to be named executor of the estate if his nearest relatives are unwilling or are unable to take this on. First question is: do you know whether the deceased had a will, and if so who the named executor is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my employer cap my salary (Florida) can I refuse to sign the document? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a nurse and my employer wants me to sign my yearly evaluation where it states I will be capped an no longer be eligible for pay raises is this legal?

Cremation and my responsibility [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the only one who is listed for a patient in a nursing home. She has no relatives. She's dying. I can't see getting a funeral home. Can someone just get cremated Without a church or funeral home?

Cremation and what's required [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine went to two funeral parlors to prepay her own funeral. She was told That she needs special papers from the lawyer for cremation. I have cremation in my Will and apparently that's not enough. My partner doesn't even have cremation in her Will, it's just what she told me. Are...

Cleaning service employer makes employees sign a document [ 18 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a question I need help with. My wife is employed by a cleaning business and she has worked there for 8 months now, this business employs no full time people but many casual, part time , on call women etc. We recently registered our own business in the same industry, as my wife...

View more questions Search