Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnnyPauly Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water
    The drywall and baseboards in the inside exterior kitchen wall were rotting and wet. It is about 6-10 inches above ground level. We live in a concrtete cinderblock house in Florida. After removing the exterior stucco we found water oozing from what appears to be inside the conctrete. What could be leaking? HOw do we access it and is it a job for an expert? If so what kind? We didn't run the kitchen sink or dishwasher for 2 days and the leak continued. What is the next step? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Greetings from Sarasota JohnnyPaul,

Is this rainwater run off or did you build on top of a artisan well? What part od Florida do you live it? Much rain up your way lately? If the problem persists I could consider installing a french drain, (see image) to carry away the excess water. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Regards, Tom

Mar 27, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Hi Tom
    Thnks for the quick reply. I live in Plantation FLorida. I don't think its rainwater run off because it is only in a very limitred area. Plus we haven't had any rain for 4 days and it is still oozing water. It is leaking from an area about 6 inches long, about 6 inches above the ground. It is only visible on the exterior wall but it is wet and rotting inside. The house is 20 years old.
    Thanks
    JP
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Have you checked the meter to see if it isn't a broken water line? Tom

Mar 27, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Hi Tom
    No the water meter shows normal use, plus the water is leaking down from the concrete into the ground ( and through the wall) not up from the ground.
    Any other ideas?
    JP

Mar 27, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Hi Tom
    I guess a question I have is what types of pipes would be inside the cinderblaco?
    JP
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 07:39 AM
    You can have any number of supply lines in your wall. The blocks are semi-hollow so builders take advantage of the passages. Is the problem near a plumbing fixture? The drywall is shot so you might just cut out an inspection hole, drywall and block too.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPauly
    Hi Tom
    No the water meter shows normal use, plus the water is leaking down from the concrete into the ground ( and through the wall) not up from the ground.
    Any other ideas?
    JP
    Have you checked the little pointer when all the fixtures in the house are shut down. The pointer shouldn't move or creep. If it does yhen you have a pressure leak in the wall. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Tom is right but a slow drip may not even register. If water keeps dripping out of the wall, not through it from the outside, I'm thinking supply line. Maybe your outside spigot? Shut off your main for an hour or two and see if the leak doesn't stop. If it stops or slows your issue is a supply line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior Parged Block Wall [ 3 Answers ]

I had my exterior foundation block wall re-parged, first they applied a mesh wire then a layer of hand mixed water proof cement and then a hand mixed coat of parge consisting of concrete & sand. The problem is the entire foundation is spider web cracking from the bottom up. How can this be...

Water Leaking through the Shower Tile Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I take a shower and when the shower dry's I see some water leaking at the bottom where it comes through the wall into the shower at floor. After I saw that I went back and added more teflon tape for the shower faucets and new rubber and new monel seats. I still see a little water draining out the...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

Exterior concrete staining [ 1 Answers ]

How can I stain outdoor concrete patio slab. For a warm stain look. Tips?? :cool:

Supply and drain on exterior wall OK? (wisconsin winters... ) [ 2 Answers ]

Hey tom, thanks ahead of time for you're advice, :) What are your thoughts on placing supply and drains in an exterior wall. (knee wall in converted attic). I really don't have an alternative. The pipes being in the knee wall, I could always double up the wall and insulate the heck out of it. I...

View more questions Search