Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starrynightz45 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 08:44 PM
    Is he really this confused about what he wants? What's going on?
    We're both 24, and in grad school. We were friends for a while, and then we started dating. We dated for about a month and a half(no sex, he didn't try at all). We did the typical things - movies, dinner, etc. He has a VERY blunt personality and manner of speaking (for example - he invited me over to his home on one date, and flat out told me that he was not inviting me because he was trying to have sex with me, and he was being honest). He does lack a little tact in general, and doesn't seem to work well with or understand feelings.I also knew he had very little experience in relationships. In fact, he's only had 1 girlfriend and the relationship only lasted 3 months.

When we first started dating, he knew I'd just gotten out of a relationship and asked what I was looking for. I told him a relationship - and he said it "took him a while to get there and make up his mind" about something like that. Thinking he obviously needed time to get to know me better, I agreed that this made sense. In reality, I think he meant he didn't even really know if he wanted a relationship.

Anyway, as far as I could tell, we had a great time together and a great connection. Out of nowhere, he called me one day and said that the way things were going, he felt that it was leading to "something" and he didn't think he could "commit to anything" and didn't want to hurt me. He also mentioned that he really does have feelings for me, and also got me a birthday gift (my birthday was over 2 months away at the time). Since I was shocked, I just said that was fine and got off the phone. For the next two months, I didn't call/text him, and he didn't contact me either. I assumed that most likely, he was just turning me down politely and that he didn't like me after dating me for a while. But since he is so blunt, part of me thought he might have been genuine. Either way, I let it go.

Yesterday, the day before our new semester begins, and about 2 weeks before my birthday, he texted me asking which professor I had for some class. I responded, and he sent me photos of 3 of his paintings, asking me which one I'd like for my birthday gift (so I guess he still remembered my birthday). I told him he didn't have to give me anything, but he responded that he wanted to, and that I should accept one of the paintings. So, I said thanks and picked one of the pieces. That was around 11pm on Monday, and he didn't respond to my text until midnight on Tuesday (this is unlike him, he usually responds in an hour or 2 at the most). I sent him a text back tonight around 7pm (yes I intentionally delayed answering because he took so long to responds) and kept it at "ok thank you." I assume he'll have to text back at some point to arrange for us to meet.

I'm just confused - I never once contacted him after he told me he didn't want a relationship. He contacted me... and now I can't figure out why? Is he just trying to be friends? Or is he possibly trying to show that he was genuine about having feelings for me, but he just isn't ready for a relationship? I'm confused and not sure what to do. It just seems strange that he'd not only remember my birthday after all this time, but offer to give me one of his paintings. If he was just not into me, then why bother reaching out to give me a gift after 2 months? We weren't really close friends prior to dating. I'm just lost and don't get it anymore.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 08:51 PM
    Didn't you post this earlier?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2013, 03:30 AM
    Yes and I am wondering if this is the same guy she asked about in a question before that one.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 22, 2013, 04:05 AM
    You got 7 answers, but asked about 7 hours later? I think all answers you get are going to be similar - you have to find out from him.
    You asked about him in June, and were confused then too.
    You asked for a tarot reading, which suggests to me that you think there are answers somewhere that you can't get by simple communication.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing, just guessing, that this man wants more feeling out of you before he will let himself out of his shell. He wants you to miss him, contact him, really like his paintings, tell him you really do like him a lot. Not fair to you, of course, but if you do like him, will you give it some effort? Or figure out how to tell him that relationship development is a two way street, and that you expect some feeling from him too? It almost seems that both of you are equally reticent and are never going to get off the ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am very confused - please help! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a bit confused so please pardon if my words are a bit jumbled up and I ramble on. I’ve been seeing this guy for the past month. I really like him and he seems to like me too. We have only been on 3 dates but things have progressed very fast. We got intimate on our 2nd date. I was...

I'm so confused [ 0 Answers ]

Ok. My question is if me and my boyfriend had sex on 7/6/11 and he came inside of me.I didn't get my cycle till the day after we had sex or was I just bleeding. Anyway I want to no if I am pregnant. Is it to soon to noif I am.

I'm very confused about this right now. [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my guy friend have known each other for over a year. I somewhat liked him but I didn't show it. He talked about how we should be roommates and I agreed but as we looked for places I started to have more feelings for him so I talked him out of being roomates. Now I told him that I was had...

Late period, pregnancy,confused confused [ 2 Answers ]

On 1st Aug 09, I had a very painful period which came 12days late.Before the period came, I had unusually swollen breasts,cramping consistently, consistent headache and nausea. I have been trying for a baby in the last 12months.I have never used any pill, nor gotten pregnant before. My period is...

A Little confused [ 2 Answers ]

K so I've been datin this girl for a month and a couple weeks now and I was just wondering what you would do in my situation. She is muslim so it's hard to see her yadda yadda. Before we went out she liked this other guy but her and I started to date now he's getting jelous saying things to her...

View more questions Search