Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plange413 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
    Shower drain
    What is the code size for a shower drain. If mine Is 1.5" and was installed when the house was built 40 years ago do I have to put new pipes and drain before I can sell?
    Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
    Hi Plange

Code has always called for a 2" drain pipe to go to a shower.

However, if you have a pipe going to a shower that is 1.5" I am confident that if you don't say anything to anyone, either will any home inspectors... ;)

You should be all set!

Mark
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:18 PM
    I agree with Mark. As long as the shower is draining fine, no inspector will catch the undersized drain. It will work just fine, and I don't believe you would be breaking any laws by not saying anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a maax shower drain be replaced on a crooked drain pipe on second floor [ 1 Answers ]

The plumber inspected my shower drain upstairs, and said the drain pipe going to the drain is crooked. Builders plumber made mistake in lining up the pipe. This home is approximately 6 yrs. Old. The shower is made of fake marble slabs. The drain is leaking down on the first floor. The plumber...

Can an Oatey ABS No-caulk shower base drain be used with a copper drain pipe? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a free standing Spartan shower with an inexpensive Swanstone free standing shower. The Swanstone comes with an Oatey ABS drain. My question is: can this plastic drain be used with my copper drain pipe? The pipe is extending up over the cement floor by an inch. I believe that I must...

New Shower was connected to Toilet drain and now we get smell from shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Used baking soda a vinegar to clean drain, but smell continues to be present. Read that I should have the air vent checked to see if it's clogged, but I get no smell from the other shower leading me to think it's just the gas backing up from the pipes. Also, how does an air vent get clogged? ...

Neo-Angle Shower drain doesn't fit over existing drain [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to have a neo-angle shower in the 2nd bathroom in the house we are building, but the drain was not put in for this shape of shower. Is there a way to still put in the neo-angle shower and somehow adjust the drain over many inches?

View more questions Search