Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aseal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 08:54 AM
    Difficult math word problem.
    I need this problem solved step by step with formula if anybody could solve it :::::find the length of three metals (hold the bridge)if the length is 80 inch and the width is 200 inch?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 21, 2013, 08:57 AM
    Please clarify your question as there is not enough information given.

Aug 21, 2013, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Please clarify your question as there is not enough information given.
    Sorry had trouble logging in. It's actually a picture . It's a parabolic bridge and from where it starts to where it ends is 200 inches. It's height is 80 inches.and there are 3 metals holding the bridge. The center metal is 10 inches and the other two are unknown. So there I hope I made it clearly.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 12:47 PM
    It seems you have a parabola with three known points as in the attached figure, and your job is to determine the equation of the pabola and then determine the length of two support columns ("metals" as you called them) that are located at some specified points - right? Suggestion: set your coordinate system so that the (0,0) is at the midpoint of the bridge, and the use the known data to find the coefficients for the equation:

y-a = b(x-c)^2

Unknowns a, b and c can be solved using known coordinates (0,-10), (100, -80) and (-100,-80). Once you have those coefficients you can determine the value 'y' for the two points in question.
    Attached Images

Aug 21, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It seems you have a parabola with three known points as in the attached figure, and your job is to determine the equation of the pabola and then determine the length of two support columns ("metals" as you called them) that are located at some specified points - right? Suggestion: set your coordinate system so that the (0,0) is at the midpoint of the bridge, and the use the known data to find the coefficients for the equation:

y-a = b(x-c)^2

Unknowns a, b and c can be solved using known coordinates (0,-10), (100, -80) and (-100,-80). Once you have those coefficients you can determine the value 'y' for the two points in question.
    I appreciate your answer and I thank you for your time but I think you misunderstood my answer. The picture was right except you forgot the two metal beside the center metal. I have to find the length of the two metals by the center not the ones supporting the bridge. So there, and could you please give me a direct answer with the work.

And again thanks!
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 06:11 AM
    To determine the length of the two supports (why do you call them "metals?") from the bridge deck to the parabola you need to know what position they are located at along the x-axis in the diagram. In the figure I didn't know where to show them so I placed them at about +/- 75 for illustrative purposes. Without knowing the position of the supports it's impossible to provide an answer.

Also, we do not simply give answers to homework problems - I've given you a very good start on how to solve it, so if you still aren't sure how to proceed please show us what you have attempted and we can help you along.

Aug 22, 2013, 07:01 AM
    To determine the length of the two supports (why do you call them "metals?") from the bridge deck to the parabola you need to know what position they are located at along the x-axis in the diagram. In the figure I didn't know where to show them so I placed them at about +/- 75 for illustrative purposes. Without knowing the position of the supports it's impossible to provide an answer.

Also, we do not simply give answers to homework problems - I've given you a very good start on how to solve it, so if you still aren't sure how to proceed please show us what you have attempted and we can help you along.
    Once again thank you

Okay I understand you can't give me the answer and I've been working on it. The formula above y-a=b(x-c^2) as you assumed earlier how do you apply them in the formula.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 07:23 AM
    As I pointed out in my first reply you have three data points that you can use to solve for a, b and c. From (0,-10) you have:

From (100,-80) and (-100,-80) you have:

and

Note that these two equations have the same left hand side, so therefore - what does that tell you about the value of c? Once you have that it's easy. By the way - the reason why I suggested setting the coordinate system at the mid-point of the bridge is because it makes determining the values of a, b, and c easier than it would be otherwise.

Aug 22, 2013, 07:37 AM
    As I pointed out in my first reply you have three data points that you can use to solve for a, b and c. From (0,-10) you have:

From (100,-80) and (-100,-80) you have:

and

Note that these two equations have the same left hand side, so therefore - what does that tell you about the value of c? Once you have that it's easy. By the way - the reason why I suggested setting the coordinate system at the mid-point of the bridge is because it makes determining the values of a, b, and c easier than it would be otherwise.
    How would you add the formulas to get the final answer?
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseal View Post
    How would you add the formulas to get the final answer?
    I don't understand your question - there is no "adding of formulas."

Have you been able to determine values for a, b and c? What did you get?

Aug 22, 2013, 07:54 AM
    I don't understand your question - there is no "adding of formulas."

Have you been able to determine values for a, b and c? What did you get?
    Fine how do I get final answer. For A(0,10) B(50,unknown) and C (100,80), Is there a possible way to find ABC together.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Go back and review post #8. I've given you three equations in three unknowns: a, b, and c. Do you know how to solve 3 simulteneous equations?

Aug 22, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Go back and review post #8. I've given you three equations in three unknowns: a, b, and c. Do you know how to solve 3 simulteneous equations?
    I ended up with 3 equations but I have to find the final answer for each equation so I can add them all.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 09:28 AM
    I'm not following you. If you have the equation for the parabola you can simply plug in the x-value for the position of the supports whose length you're trying to find.

Aug 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
    I'm not following you. If you have the equation for the parabola you can simply plug in the x-value for the position of the supports whose length you're trying to find.
    Ohh, so that's what you do I finally got the answer to the equation. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. This wasn't a homework question I had a test today and I was stumped on that one question. AND AGAIN THANK YOU!
    Expert

Aug 23, 2013, 05:27 AM
    You're welcome - glad it worked out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Math Word Problem [ 8 Answers ]

Sierra picked half of a basket of apples yesterday. Today she picked four-fifths of a basket of apples. What part of a basket of apples has Sierra picked in all?

Math word problem [ 1 Answers ]

Duane has 3/11 as many toy bricks as Leon, and Jamal has 3 times as many toy bricks as Duane. If Jamal has 18 fewer toy bricks than Duane, how many toy bricks do the three buys have in all?

Math word problem [ 4 Answers ]

The school play sold 410 tickets. The tickets were $6 at the door and president for $4. A total amount of $2000 was made from ticket sales. How many tickets were sold at the door?

Word math problem [ 1 Answers ]

Tom Kate Joe and Sam live I'n a row of houses with red blue pink an grey roofs. SAMs is blue Tom has one neighbor. And Joe has two. The red roof is two houses away from the blue. The grey roof is on the end of the block. SAMs only neighbor is an old maid. Who has the pink roof?

Math Word Problem Help [ 1 Answers ]

Please any help would be great. A guy wire is needed to secure a pole. You have a wire the length 25 feet which could be used. The latch to which it will be secured on the ground is 10 feet from the base of the pole. How high up the pole will the guy wire be attached if you choose...

View more questions Search