Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Win 7 slow boot (Explorer.exe, svchost)
    A few weeks ago my PC startup slowed down from 1 minute to 4-5 minutes. I use Soluto program to monitor and according to their info my system files and antivirus are using 3 minutes of boot time. I uninstalled the AV and the time was reduced to 3-3.5 minutes.
    I recently learned how to check Event Viewer in Admin tools for boot performance warnings. Almost every boot a different process or program is causing a delay (Explorer.exe, svchost, searchindexer, antivirus, SMSSInit, mmcss, rpcss, CD rom, also Soluto, Windefend, LogonUI, audiosrv, eventlog, audioendpointbuilder, PreshellInit)
    The latter being the oldest... Event ID 108 PreShellinit. The most common are Explorer.exe, svchost, and antivirus. Also included in the list of boot warnings is many shutdown and suspend warnings, errors, criticals... I'm assuming some amount is normal. Im using a one year old Win 7 laptop. I need help with the boot time, can someone help? Thanks for reading
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Time to back up and reinstall the OS.

Aug 20, 2013, 11:28 AM
    System restore has an option to reset my PC to factory condition, is that the same? Do you think that would work?
    BossMan

Aug 20, 2013, 11:29 AM
    Yes and yes

Aug 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Yes and yes
    Thank you
    I took a chance and tried your advice. I didn't have anything to lose. The total reinstall took only 15 minutes and has completely fixed the problem. My boot time is an amazing 45 - 55 seconds, all programs run faster, multitasking is faster, shut down is faster. Its like a new computer again, I removed all the bloat-ware, again, and since I know what other programs I use most and prefer, I reinstalled without trials and errors. I don't think I would have reinstalled windows if I didn't know something about the startup diagnosis.
    BossMan

Aug 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
    Good news, thanks for reporting back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Svchost.exe error [ 2 Answers ]

Svchost.exe error generic Host memory couldn't be Written erroris coming and Then system stucks.. not Responding.. Please help me

Unable to boot Windows XP because of SVCHOST.EXE Application Error [ 1 Answers ]

For the last several days, I have utterly failed to use my computer for any purpose at all, be it internet, or Office 2007, because I just can't start my operating system. As soon as I switch on my computer, and try to log on by writing my password, I get the following message: SVCHOST.EXE...

8 x svchost.exe [ 1 Answers ]

Why are there multiples of svchost.exe running in my task manager running under system, local service, and network service, and am I allowed to close them? (A few years ago I closed explore.exe mistaking it for iexplore.exe and gave myself a scare ;-)) All but one take up about 3000-5000k, except...

Svchost.exe problem [ 1 Answers ]

My svchost.exe mem usage is very high in taskmanager how resolve it.and my system is very slow suggest.

Svchost.exe [ 2 Answers ]

What's a 'svchost.exe'?? The fact that 'svchost' rhymes with 'ghost!' worries me(I'm worried that it's a virus )especially when there are usually four of them running at any particular time :o This is what I see when I press alt+ctrl+del (I'm using XP): Windows Task Manager: Image name |...

View more questions Search