Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Izzy72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 09:36 PM
    Why is our 10 yr old female chihuahua urinating in the house once a day
    Our 10 year old female chihuahua is completely housebroken, but the last 3 days she has urinated 1 time each day in the other room. She goes to the vet once a year for her checkup & shots but is not quite due yet. Her normal routine when needing to go outside is to get down from her pillow on the couch & look at one of us and shake her head making her tag on her collar rattle. Then we always take her right outside. I'm unsure of what may be going on. Money is seriously tight this month with kids going back to school & bills, & we also had to take our box turtle to an exotic animal vet that charged us $150.00 just for the visit. We aren't noticing anything unusual going on with her, & nothing in our home has changed (i.e. not being home for long periods, etc). She hasn't let us know she needs to go outside, when we've all been in the room with her. We did use vinegar & water scrubbing the areas thoroughly. She's let us know several times each day out of the 3 days this has happened when she needs to go out & has gone potty without any problems. Any idea what could be wrong?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
    She may have a UTI. She may be getting old enough to not be able to hold it in. She may not like the weather out. She may have gone there when you didn't notice her just once, and her need is more urgent as she ages. She may have had one accident and now the scent is attracting her back to that spot or room anyway (that happens with my Jack Russell).
    Close off that room and hope, and keep an eye on her.
    After cleaning a spot, I pour something really strong smelling on it, like cheap cologne or after shave.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
    I understand money being tight this time of year, I swear that back to school is even worse financially than Christmas time, for me I add two birthdays right before school as well.

Having said that, I really do think you should have her checked to rule out anything medical. If this is a UTI, which is very possible, the sooner it's diagnosed and treated, the less it will cost in the long run, not only money wise, but health wise for your dog.

Is she acting any different? Sleeping more? Less active? Anything of that nature?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my female chihuahua peeing in the house out of nowhere? [ 1 Answers ]

Ive had Miley for 3 years but 2 out of those 3 years she's been an outside dog. But since I brought her to live with me and my boyfriend, which its been 3 months now she just peed twice in this last week, before that she's been THE BEST DOG EVER. Were usually away from home for up to 8 hours and we...

Why is my 12 year old chihuahua urinating in the house that I bought 2 years ago? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into a new home 2 years ago and since moving in my 12 year old chihuahua Started urinating in the house even though I have installed a doggie door. Why? Why is my 12 year old chihuahua urinating in the house even though she has a doggie door and was previously house broken?

How to train two four and a half year old male chihuahua from urinating in the home? [ 10 Answers ]

I have two four and a half year old male chihuahuas who are brothers and they have been neutered. I have to keep them in a separate room with a gate up since they ruined my couches. I use potty pads and sometimes they use them and sometimes they do not. At night I put them in their crates and...

Female dog suddenly urinating in the house [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a 4 yr old female beagle approx 4 months ago. She had been a strickly outside dog but now she's inside and since bringing her to my house, she's always done her business outside with no direction from me. Just recently she started urinating (no defecating) on the pergo floor on the way to...

View more questions Search