Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    6thgradegirl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 07:52 PM
    I'm entering 6th grade this year and I need some tips. Help?
    I have no idea what its going to be like in middle school and I don't want to make a complete fool of myself. I need some help.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 07:55 PM
    Is it a different building from the one you are used to and with a lot more students? (My 6th grade was a different room right down the hall.)

Did you (or will you) get a tour or a chance to shadow another student?
    6thgradegirl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 08:02 PM
    It is a building specifically for middle school, kids from4 schools are going there, and it starts in a week. I'm going to orientation tom. But I'm sure there things they won't tell me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thgradegirl View Post
    It is a building specifically for middle school, kids from4 schools are going there, and it starts in a week. I'm going to orientation tom. but I'm sure there things they wont tell me.
    Students you know will be going there, so you can pow-wow with them if you have questions -- and the teachers are used to new kids stumbling around for the first week, and of course are more than willing to answer questions. In two weeks, you will wonder why you were even worried. (It will all work out. Just pay good attention at orientation.)

And next year, be nice and helpful to new students!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thgradegirl View Post
    It is a building specifically for middle school, kids from4 schools are going there, and it starts in a week. I'm going to orientation tom. but I'm sure there things they wont tell me.
    Hopefully, they will pair you up with 7th graders to help you through the first couple of weeks of 6th grade.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 20, 2013, 12:41 AM
    Any time you wonder if you might make a fool of yourself, remember that at least half of the others are feeling the same way. This helps get you through all sorts of events in life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2013, 03:14 AM
    One thing you shouldn't do is go boy crazy. From other posts it appears you think it is all right for 6th graders to be in romantic relationships. But that is too young. Concentrate on your school work and making friendships, not romances.
    greatstudent Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Aug 25, 2013, 10:13 PM
    First of all, don't be scared! Enter middle school with complete confidence and you will do great! If you enter middle school scared and worried, then you may make a fool of yourself. Just be confident, be excited, be kind and meet new people! Good luck! :)
    epicolizard Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    One thing you shouldn't do is go boy crazy. From other posts it appears you think it is alright for 6th graders to be in romantic relationships. But that is too young. Concentrate on your school work and making friendships, not romances.
    lol how many time do I have to say this dating is just sitting together at lunch and texting.
    Education Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by epicolizard View Post
    lol how many time do I have to say this dating is just sitting together at lunch and texting.
    You act like you have been around here forever. That's not dating, by the way.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 05:50 PM
    Just goes to show how very different every part of the world is. I'm in Canada, my daughter is going to grade 6 this school year, which also starts in a week. But here grade 6 is still considered elementary. You're in the same school you were in since Kindergarten. Then, in grade 7, you start Junior high (new school), and you're there until grade 9. In grade 10 it's high school (again a new school), and you're there until grade 12.

When my son started grade 7 (junior high) they had mentors, other students that helped for the first week. They also had an orientation, and a welcome party.

What's considered middle school? Only grade 6? So there's a separate school for only grade 6, and then you go to junior high? How does it work?

That's what you consider dating? In the real world that's called being friends, or acquaintances.

Well, that explains a lot then. After all, you're around 10, or 11. You're a child.

So, when kids come here and ask if they can date, they're asking if they can sit with a boy or girl at lunch and text them?
    Education Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Just goes to show how very different every part of the world is. I'm in Canada, my daughter is going to grade 6 this school year, which also starts in a week. But here grade 6 is still considered elementary. You're in the same school you were in since Kindergarten. Then, in grade 7, you start Junior high (new school), and you're there until grade 9. In grade 10 it's high school (again a new school), and you're there until grade 12.

When my son started grade 7 (junior high) they had mentors, other students that helped for the first week. They also had an orientation, and a welcome party.

What's considered middle school? Only grade 6? So there's a separate school for only grade 6, and then you go to junior high? How does it work?
    It depends on districts in California. Ours keeps the 6th graders in elementary and 7th and 8th are middle school. Then 9th is the beginning of high school. That is new within the last 6 years. I went the way your kiddos do.
    Pets Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    It depends on districts in California. Ours keeps the 6th graders in elementary and 7th and 8th are middle school. Then 9th is the beginning of high school. That is new within the last 6 years. I went the way your kiddos do.
    See, when I was young it was completely different. I entered high school in grade 9, but before that I was at a school that went from Kindergarten to grade 8.

A year after I started high school they changed it, and kept 9th grade in the elementary school, and high school started in grade 10. For me, and the rest of the 9th graders soon to enter grade 10, that meant we were froshed two years running, since we were the youngest two years in a row.

Now they have elementary schools (K-6), Junior high (7-9) and high school (10-12)
    Education Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    See, when I was young it was completely different. I entered high school in grade 9, but before that I was at a school that went from Kindergarten to grade 8.

A year after I started high school they changed it, and kept 9th grade in the elementary school, and high school started in grade 10. For me, and the rest of the 9th graders soon to enter grade 10, that meant we were froshed two years running, since we were the youngest two years in a row.

Now they have elementary schools (K-6), Junior high (7-9) and high school (10-12)
    I liked it better that way.

Aug 27, 2013, 06:12 PM
    OK everything that happens in a middle school "relationship" is your basically doing things with your BF/GF and it kind of involves feeling for each other (basically puppy love kids my age don't know what exactly what love is) just saying I'm not saying there aren't people who go way to far and get their "partner" pregnant but Im saying going out in middle school is basically a label and both people liking eacother
    Pets Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 06:19 PM
    ok everything that happens in a middle school "relationship" is your basically doing things with your BF/GF and it kinda involves feeling for eachother (basically puppy love kids my age dont know what exactly what love is) just saying im not saying there arent people who go way to far and get their "partner" pregnant but Im saying going out in middle school is basically a label and both people liking eacother
    And we're stating law when we talk about children dating. If you're dating in middle school, and it's more than just sitting together at lunch and texting each other, you need parental permission. That's the law. If mommy and daddy say no, it's no, and you can't date.

Having said that, I'd like to know where I missed the OP stating that she/he is asking about dating.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2013, 06:36 PM
    No, that's what children your age want to call dating. Because it makes you feel more grownup. Older people know that. They know it is just children playing at being adult.

You are too young to do anything more (parents probably won't let you) so you want to call it dating.
    Animal Luvr Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 06:43 PM
    I am in the 8th grade and I can remember how I felt when I first started middle school. I'm not sure about your school but when new students started school my school had student council members help out and show new students how to open their lockers and show them their classes. Everyone in your grade will be first starting and have the same questions as you do and I takes a week to get used to the new school. I also recommend getting involved in your school. If you like sports, see what your new school offers as far as sports go and experiment. If you are more into academics see if your school offers any activities for that. Getting involved is a great way to make new friends. Even see if your school has a leadership group or student council. I got involved with my school's student council and it has given me so many opportunities. You will also have an opportunity to make friends with upper classmen who will be able to give you more advice about your school! Good luck and have fun!

Aug 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Dude I need to run for a good position in student council thanks for reminding me Animal Luvr
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 06:51 PM
    The issue is, every 6th grader, is brand new, so no one will know exactly what is going on.

Read any notice, pay attention to annoncements, that is how you know what to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a girl to like you in 6th grade [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in 6th grade and I like this girl so much and I would do anything for her and we are not even friends she never talked to me I had this disease when I can back for 6th grade she was not concerned he was the only one who did not even say hi so I don't think she likes me so what can I do to even...

What to do in a 6th grade bf/gf relationship [ 4 Answers ]

A really pretty girl recently asked me to be her boyfriend and I said yes. But we are stuck not knowing what to do next. Any ideas?

How to get a girl to like me in 6th grade [ 12 Answers ]

I like this girl and she's popular and I'm not really popular and before she thinks that I'm kind of weird but deep down inside I think she likes me too so please help me

View more questions Search