Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caramela Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 05:39 AM
    I have hypothyroidism
    Hello,I'm 22 year old female and I am diagnosed with hypothyroidism I was on medication but I had allergic reaction to it, so I stopped it I don't want to start taking another medication is there any home remedies ? Please please help thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2013, 06:06 AM
    Has the Dr had you on all the meds for this? Usually if one doesn't work for you they will prescribe you something different until you find something that works. Also you should follow a nutritional diet for hypothrodism. There are things you should avoid eating and things you should make sure you do eat.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2013, 07:13 AM
    This might help
    Hypothyroidism Diet - Food List To Eat & Avoid, Good Plan & Help
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2013, 09:46 AM
    My cousin treats her hypothyroidism with aloe vera juice. She says it works great, but she is also taking medication as well. Maybe its something to look into for you? It does not taste good however...

Aug 19, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Has the Dr had you on all the meds for this? Usually if one doesn't work for you they will prescribe you something different until you find something that works. Also you should follow a nutritional diet for hypothrodism. There are things you should avoid eating and things you should make sure you do eat.
    No I haven't tried other meds to be honest I don't want to I rather cure myself with home remedies.

Aug 19, 2013, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    My cousin treats her hypothyroidism with aloe vera juice. She says it works great, but she is also taking medication as well. Maybe its something to look into for you? It does not taste good however...
    Thanks for the information love :) I might try that.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Also try to remember, your doctor wants what is best for you. And the doctor will do his/her best to find a medication that will work for you with as little side effects as possible. Trust me, I know the desire to stay as natural and homeopathic as possible. But sometimes, medication from a trusted doctor really is a good thing!

Aug 19, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    Also try to remember, your doctor wants what is best for you. And the doctor will do his/her best to find a medication that will work for you with as little side effects as possible. Trust me, I know the desire to stay as natural and homeopathic as possible. But sometimes, medication from a trusted doctor really is a good thing!
    Yes Your right :) I will go and see my doctor and find a better med for it,have a question does your cousin drink aloe Vera oil ?because I know that some people drink stuff like that.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramela View Post
    Yes Your right :) I will go and see my doctor and find a better med for it,have a question does your cousin drink aloe Vera oil ?because I know that some people drink stuff like that.
    No its not oil, it's a jug of the juice. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
    Make sure you buy food grade aloe
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
    I have a thyroid condition, I've been on synthroid for almost 15 years now.

I've tried home remedies, and none of them ever worked. This is serious, you shouldn't be playing around with your health like this, hoping that you'll find something that works. You really do need to talk to your doctor about this, and get regular blood testing to see if your levels are stabilizing.

Aug 19, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    make sure you buy food grade aloe
    Ok Hun thanks a lot ;).
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
    You are welcome, as Jennipepsi said it is important to keep up with your doctor. Monitoring is essential. Doing alternatives is good for balancing and stabilizing but left unmonitored it can get worse even if you feel you are getting better.

Aug 19, 2013, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I have a thyroid condition, I've been on synthroid for almost 15 years now.

I've tried home remedies, and none of them ever worked. This is serious, you shouldn't be playing around with your health like this, hoping that you'll find something that works. You really do need to talk to your doctor about this, and get regular blood testing to see if your levels are stabilizing.
    15 years? God! I hate taking meds, ye I have to go and see my doc plus I also have low iron levels, do the medication help you? I mean do u feel tired all of the time? I have muscle pain in my neck and I'm always tired do you have these symptoms?
    Pets Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 04:42 PM
    15 years? God! I hate taking meds, ye I have to go and see my doc plus i also have low iron levels, do the medication help you? I mean do u feel tired all of the time? I have muscle pain in my neck and I'm always tired do you have these symptoms?
    The medication does help with my thyroid issue, and I'll be on it for life, as will you. You can't cure this, it can only be controlled.

I'm also anemic (low iron levels) but that has nothing at all to do with my thyroid problem. So yes, my pills do help, but I still feel tired all the time because of the anemia.

Aug 20, 2013, 05:31 AM
    The medication does help with my thyroid issue, and I'll be on it for life, as will you. You can't cure this, it can only be
    I'm also anemic (low iron levels) but that has nothing at all to do with my thyroid problem. So yes, my pills do help, but I still feel tired all the time because of the anemia.
    Hm oh right for life? Do you not take any medications for your iron levels? I I was taking iron tablets and I got Ill from it so I stopped it, now I drink water and sugar what my mum makes me it's a home remedy to treat low iron levels where we come from,maybe you should try that basectly you get a cup of cold water and add one white cube sugar (you have to use cube ones) then mix it and leave it overnight then drink it in the morning, start from 1 to 10 then 10 to 1 and see how you feel then give it a try Hun. Take care!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 05:53 AM
    you get a cup of cold water and add one white cube sugar (you have to use cube ones) then mix it and leave it overnight then drink it in the morning, start from 1 to 10 then 10 to 1
    That is dangerous advice and is not to be used for anemia.
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That is dangerous advice and is not to be used for anemia.
    Don't worry J, I'm smart enough to know that, and I wouldn't have followed that advice.

To the OP, I take iron tablets, and I eat foods rich in iron such as tuna, spinach, etc. Sugar water doesn't work for iron levels. How could it? You have to be logical about the home remedies you try. Your recommendation really has no logic at all. Think about it. How would sugar water elevate your iron levels? Neither sugar or water contain iron.

Aug 20, 2013, 12:39 PM
    Don't worry J, I'm smart enough to know that, and I wouldn't have followed that advice.

To the OP, I take iron tablets, and I eat foods rich in iron such as tuna, spinach, etc. Sugar water doesn't work for iron levels. How could it? You have to be logical about the home remedies you try. Your recommendation really has no logic at all. Think about it. How would sugar water elevate your iron levels? Neither sugar or water contain iron.
    Don't know Hun that's what people drink where we come from they say it treats iron levels so that's what I've been drinking these last ten days, if you don't like it then don't its your choice I didn't force you to making it,I told u from my heart.
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
    Don't know Hun that's what people drink where we come from they say it treats iron levels so that's what I've been drinking these last ten days, if you don't like it then don't its your choice I didn't force you to making it,I told u from my heart.
    I understand that you posted that advice because you thought it would be helpful. But drinking sugar water can actually be dangerous advice. I'm smart enough to know better, but someone else may not be, and you could put them in danger.

That's why I don't like the advice being given on this thread. I do agree with home remedies, but they have to make sense, and it's always best to discuss them with your doctor first. It's very dangerous to self treat, or to advise others to self treat.

This site is about answering questions and helping people. When the advice posted is potentially harmful, that's the exact opposite of what we do here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hypothyroidism [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am running through my 29th week of pregnancy and in my 24 week my TSH was as high as 7. So I started medications as told by my gynecologist . Is this problem effected my baby ?(my 21st week ultrasound scan completed and report shown baby weight,brain development and all other details normal) ...

Hypothyroidism and thryroidectomy [ 0 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the age of 12, I am now 19. My thyroid completely stopped working when I was diagnosed. Lately, my TSH levels have been up and down and crazy, this is the first time since I was diagnosed that I have had to change the dosage of my medicine. I am wondering if...

Hypothyroidism [ 0 Answers ]

I wanted to know whether having hypothyroidism affect in getting pregnant

Hypothyroidism [ 2 Answers ]

I am 34 years old and have both of my sides of my thyroid removed in two separate surgerys over the past month. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and now am "without thyroid" I just went through my radiation last week and now have been given a Clean bill of health, :) However, I have put...

What can I do Hypothyroidism [ 5 Answers ]

I think I might have hypothyroidism but I don't want to go to the doctor to find out because I am 16 and really over weight (115 kg) Plus I don't want to be on the medication for it either so does anyone know a way I can lose weight without the drugs?

View more questions Search