Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CatalinaB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Sued by a Debt Collector in AZ, Default 5 years, interest is as high as original debt
    Hello
    I was sued because I defaulted on my auto loan 5 years ago due to losing my job, I then returned the car to the auto loan company, I received a letter a few years back that they sold the car to get money back of course. I know I am going to respond within 20 days, thanks for all the information on this site.I don't have the original contract but will rfequest it from them before the court date. The original amount I owe is $5562.34 plus interest in the amount of $5,237.67.
    My questions is:
    1. Can I argue the interest fees, and if so how?
    2. I paid over $24,000. I'm sure in 5 years I paid on it which is how much the car was when I bough it, Can I tell the judge I already paid for it and returned it? I know it sounds silly but could I have an argument?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
    You contracted to pay a certain amount per month for a certain period. If you did not pay that amount, then you left a balance. When you turned in the car, they sold it and applied the proceeds against the balance. Whatever balance was left, you are responsible for. If left unpaid, interest continues to accrue on that balance and with interest and fees, the balance could easily double in 5 years.

So no, that argument is not going to fly with the court. What you can try is negotiating a settlement with the creditor.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
    You also might want to look at the statute of limitations. This site says the SOL for an "open account" is only 3 years, although if they can prove a contract or a note, it would be longer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued by a debt collector? [ 3 Answers ]

I am being sued by a debt collector in Pennsylvania. I am not disputing the charge and am willing to make payments, I just don't want to go to court. What can I do?

I was sued in JP Court by a Debt Collector [ 1 Answers ]

I went to trial and the Judge said he found in favor of the defendant and the Plaintiff shall take nothing. Three days later I received the Judgment in the mail. The last sentence of the judgment read "It is the opinion of the court that the Plaintiff is justly entitled to a judgment against the...

Being sued by debt collector - how to proceed? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone I live in Georgia and I was recently (two days ago) served with a court summons from Superior Court to answer to a complaint filed by a debt collector (Arrow Financial Services). I don’t actually know what debt this is. From what I’ve found online, AFS is a debt buyer. I'm sorry...

Being Sued by Debt Collector [ 5 Answers ]

I've looked around and am still a little confused - if anyone can help clear some things up that would be great. First, my situation: About 3 years ago I had a new Credit Card account with Bank One (I think). I used it a bit, though not extravagantly, but they never sent me a bill. Later I...

Sued by 3rd party debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I was served court papers today. When I read it it stated that I am getting sued for an old debt that is 5,000 + interest, late fees, etc. I stopped paying this debt in 2005 when I lost my job, I had to keep a roof over my families head, food on the table, and I had to take care of my 2 boys....

View more questions Search