Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HELENACOSTA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
    Borrow money from 401k after 70 year of age
    I am 70 years old. Planning to borrow 50.000 from 401k to buy a house. I am divorced.the house is going to cost 150.000 total. What are the pro/cons?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
    Are you still employed with the company? Generally 401k loans are only for current employees.

However, since you are 70, you can withdraw the money without penalty but would have to pay taxes on it.

Another possibility might be rollover the 401K into an IRA and then invest the IRS in a mortgage. Not sure if that's possible, but its something to explore.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 06:12 AM
    You can't "invest" your IRA in your personal home. You may be thinking about investing in rental property, which is possible but must be done in a very careful and precise way to avoid mixing of your IRA funds with other funds.

To the OP: I aree with Scott's suggestion to use the 401(k) for your down payment, assuming that you can afford to do so as opposed to using it for living expenses. But be aware that if you take the $50K from your 401(k) it counts as ordinary income, so it may put you in a higher tax bracket than you are used to. As a general rule the 401(k) plan administrator will withhold 20% for federal income taxes, but don't forget that depending on where you live you may also have state and/or local income taxes to pay as well. Also, as an aside, you're probably aware that at age 70-1/2 you are required to take a minimum amount of distribution each year from your 401(k).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 20, 2013, 06:58 AM
    Why such a big down payment? Put down 20% and grab a low interest rate while you still can.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Why such a big down payment? Put down 20% and grab a low interest rate while you still can.
    Possibly to reduce monthly payments?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age 591/2 can I take my 401k money [ 12 Answers ]

Without being taxed

Age 68 and how to pull out 401k money [ 2 Answers ]

I want to take my money out of my 401k to pay off credit card debt and reinvest the remainder of the money for future needs I am 68 yrs old. Will I have to pay federal and state taxes to do this

At the age of 59 1/2, how do you start the process to withdraw money from a 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I will be reaching 59 1/2 years old by the end of the year and need to tap into one of my 401K funds for some college money. How does that process start?

View more questions Search