Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OliviaB94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2013, 04:03 AM
    Will changing my credit card digits affect my order if it got shipped a few hours ago
    I ordered a book online for one of my classes on Thursday. It just shipped around midnight. My mother in law needed me to run some errands with her. We went to about six or several places, I misplaced my credit card while running the errands with her. I had to cancel credit card and had my money transferred over into a new banking account. I did notify the seller that I had changed credit cards and to charge the card credit ending in the last for digits instead.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 17, 2013, 04:30 AM
    The odds that a seller would divert a shipment (only possible with UPS and Fedex, not the PO) over a book are extremely low.
    BUT you don't know if the book was actually out of the building or if they just bought the postage label. I suspect that they won't stop the process even if hasn't really left let.
    If you have a tracking number, just keep tabs on it. PO tracking isn't really tracking, however, it just has to confirm delivery, and anything in between you are just lucky to get.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2013, 06:37 AM
    A purchase is not shipped until your credit card is charged and the charge approved. So if it shipped the old number was already charged and that charge will be transferred to the new account.
    current pert

Aug 17, 2013, 07:03 AM
    ScottGem, my experience and what I have heard is that when you report a lost card, recent charges are cancelled. Not sure how far back 'recent' is, but surely the same day, as this was.

Aug 17, 2013, 07:08 AM
    Only charges made after the report are cancelled. The cardholder will have the opportunity to cancel any charges transferred over that they feel were fraudulent.

When the merchant presents the charge, the account is charged and the merchant credited.
    current pert

Aug 17, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Countless people over the years I spent on the eBay boards said that their charges made just before they reported the card lost were cancelled, as much as a few days, apparently on the grounds that they didn't know when the card was lost, and probably because there was no human interaction to verify which recent charges were verified as the cardholder's.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2013, 08:07 AM
    I agree with Scott from everything I have ever seen they tend to have your card charged and processed pretty much as soon as the order is in.

Aug 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
    In these days of electronic processing, this is all immediate. If anyone claims a charge was cancelled, then it wasn't processed completely before the account was locked.
    current pert

Aug 17, 2013, 10:47 AM
    I should have said reversed.
    No one here has ever done a chargeback? I have - a month after the charge was processed.

Aug 17, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Sure, reversals happen all the time. But, as I said, charges are immediate. When a merchant processes a charge these days, the account is debited and the merchant account credited immediately. Some merchants may not have their own accounts and process payments through a 3rd party. In such a case, they may batch their transactions through the 3rd party. But I don't know of a merchant that will ship until they receive confirmation of payment.
    current pert

Aug 17, 2013, 12:02 PM
    BUT a merchant can mark as shipped at midnight and that doesn't mean it shipped.
    They can even buy postage and you see a tracking or DC number, but it may not have gone out.
    I have a ton of experience with all this.

Aug 17, 2013, 12:19 PM
    True, but they won't even do that without getting credit approval.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my credit card account affect my wife if I default? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has 4 credit cards in her name and all is good with her credit. I have 3 in my name only and will be defaulting as income has disappeared and we now live from her earnings. If I default on my cards will it come back on here and our checking and saving acct? We live in Texas. All of her...

Credit Card Debt from 8 years ago [ 4 Answers ]

I received a phone call stating I was being sued for a credit card dept from 8 years ago. They said it wasn't a debt collection agency, but a group of investors who had purchased the dept and were prepared to go all the way to collect. They stated if I didn't pay or make payment arrangements,...

How does closing a 25 year old credit card account affect your credit? [ 5 Answers ]

I tried to close a credit card account that I don't use any more and their "trained" customer service person told me it was a bad move to remove a 25 year old account from my credit rating. I didn't think that the good information concerning this account would be removed from the report but he...

I'm being sued by ex-girlfriend for using her credit card 2.5 years ago! [ 5 Answers ]

(State of CA) My ex-girlfriend from over 2 years ago is suing me for $7500 of credit card debt on one card - Mastercard I think, in small claims court. She is claiming that I alone used the card to rack up these charges. I NEVER SIGNED A CREDIT CARD AGREEMENT AT ALL, whether it be as co-owner,...

My wife's credit card from along time ago [ 10 Answers ]

I recently put my wife on a new checking account I've opened. Upon reviewing my account I noticed a withdrawal transaction to the tune of $2600.00 . The transaction description was SUBPEONA. When I went to the bank I was informed of a judgement. After contacting the attorney resonsible for the...

View more questions Search