Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Feb 5, 2005, 09:35 PM
    Growing grass in clay soil-what's best way?
    My lawn is mostly clay soil. Have a few spots where grasss just refuses to grow. Tried digging up and replacing the clay w/new soil, applied organic manure, tried different types of grass seed. Need help as to what to do to the soil in order for the grass to come in and not die off.
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2005, 05:26 PM
    Grass Dying Off
    The best remedy for improving clay soil is to add gypsum which breaks up the structure a little and allows better drainage. Clay soil is rich in nutrients, however if it is not properly aerated and/or overwatered, problems can occur with poor drainage and air starved grass roots.

Good aeration is vital for a healthy lawn. I would suggest that you thoroughly aerate the affected area with a garden fork and then add some gypsum and peatmoss to prevent the soil from closing in again.

Any new grass seed sown needs to be kept moist for the first couple of weeks, then water less frequently in order to establish strong root growth.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Mar 6, 2005, 08:32 PM
    What ratio are you suggesting? Using cups as a measurement would I use 2 cups of gypsum to 1 cup of peat moss? Or the other way around? Have tried to aerate the lawn best as I can but will have to get those spikes you attach to your shoes to walk around you lawn and aerate it that way. Fork takes a long time as clay is very hard (like rock solid) soil.
    itsmebear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 07:52 AM
    My soil too is heavy clay. It has taken me a few years to get the soil anywhere near being able to grow grass. I have found that mid march is the best time to dig it up. I could actually get the shovel in about 8 to 10 inches to turn it up. I then added clay buster and peat moss to till in. after two years I can now dig the dirt down to 12 inches. It's a lot of work but that is all I have found. When you aerate you should use a plug aertor not spikes. Then rake in with organic materials. Hope this helps and I too feel your pain with this blessed soil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic System- Clay Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

We are purchasing a house that has a septic system with clay pipes that is approximately 25 years old. What is the normal lifetime of clay pipes and should they be replaced soon as the septic company is recommending? Thank you for any help

Clay Soil Lawn [ 1 Answers ]

Our lawn is 1 year old and has lot of Clay content in it.. I treated this spring with Lime and fertilizer... Attached picture shows the current condition of the lawn.. Please tell me what I should do.. Should I till & put topsoil or just areate and put top soil... There is currently no topsoil...

Need to grow grass in clay [ 2 Answers ]

My new yard seems to be all clay, water just runs off, some areas are flat areas and some a little hilly, so it washes everything off in rain, should I rototill and add something? And what is the best grass to grow?

Planting grass in clay soil [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Texas in an area that is primarily clay soil. Is bermuda the best grass to plant? If so, when should we begin planting?

Growing grass in clay [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently an art student at manchester metropolitan university in the u.k and my project is growing grass. I have recently heard of a technique that has been used by other artists were clay and grass are put together and then plastered onto an object and the grass grows through the clay. I...

View more questions Search