Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louise1960 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Plumbing problems
    My question to you is a while back I've had some plumbing problems. We had the upstairs kitchen sink rodded out. Then a while after that we noticed that we had water on the basement floor when it rained. My son called his plumber friend back. He pulled out the basement cabinet, and found out that the leak was coming from the pipe going outside.(into the catch basin) He replaced the pipe that went outside.(With many problems) Then he came upstairs to update the kitchen faucet. When he replaced the faucet we had little hot water pressure. He said it is probably blocked from debris. He left it that way! Come this past winter, we noticed we had very little hot water pressure in the upstairs kitchen sink.(We thought we were going to lose all hot water in the kitchen). Then spring came and we got some hot water pressure back. I also noticed that when we shut the water off in the sink upstairs bathroom, that there was like pressure behind it. When I am upstairs, I can hear when they use there water downstairs. It sounds like pressure in the pipes.. Now, when I do laundry downstairs the hot water line to the washer sounds like there is air in the line. It jerks. Then when you turn the water on downstairs, it hesitates. In the shower and the kitchen sink. I don't know what is going on here! Ever since we had our plumbing worked on, our plumbing has been messed up! We never had problems with water... Could someone please help me? I do not know where to go from here...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Hi Louise

I would suggest that you have someone come in and clear the faucet of any sediment and have them check or change out the hot water shutoff under the sink. It could be that the old shutoff under the sink is causing problems... could also be the hot water side of the cartridge is clogged a bit so that should be checked/cleared while the plumber is there.

The other issues suggest that your pressure regulating valve (PRV) may have gone bad... check to see if you have one AFTER the water meter (see image). If you have a PRV, purchase a simple, inexpensive hose bib pressure gauge (see image) and put it on an outside faucet... take pressure reading and report back with result.

Start here and pop back with more info. When you get it.

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic problems or plumbing problems [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my septic tank pumped 3 times in 2 months thinking that would fix the problem. After our last septic pump.. I ran in the trailer and flushed the commodes and nothing.. the water just rises to the top of the lid and that's it. So there has to be a major blockage somewhere. When we...

Plumbing problems [ 2 Answers ]

Why do I hear water in my bathtub when toilets are flushed? Is this a major problem?

Plumbing problems [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help with this one. My toilet when flushed will fill all the way to the top then go down, the water will stay low in the bowl, like it is stopped up. I have plunged it and when I do the water comes up in the sink drain and has an awful odor. Can some one give me an idea what may be...

Plumbing problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a problem with my downstair toilets. They started to make bubble sounds and the water would disappear. My husband took a shower and the toilet backed up into it. The upstairs toilet is fine. It started when I was washing the clothes and my laundry room is upstairs. Don't know what...

Plumbing Problems [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a new home and the builder called today to tell me that although there is no water service to the home water is coming out of the faucets and they do not know why. What could possibly explain this? Should I take my money and run?

View more questions Search