Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
    A UTI is a bacterial infection. Antibiotics are the only things that will get rid of it.

Tsila1777, do you have a medical background?
    tsila1777 Posts: 138, Reputation: 18

Aug 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    A UTI is a bacterial infection. Antibiotics are the only things that will get rid of it.

Tsila1777, do you have a medical background?
    J_9,

Why do you want to know and what does this have to do with the topic?

But, yes, I do, and so do most of my family, from doctor to CNA to herbs. If you noticed I advised the OP TWICE to see a doctor, that ONLY a doctor could determine what was wrong and how to treat. Some were telling her what it was and what product to buy OTC to treat. There are herbs that will treat a UTI if you start it as soon as you notice the first symptom. You don't have to wait till it is full blown to start a treatment or see a doctor.

AND I have already taken back what I told OP to, about recognizing the first symptoms and treating herself, so why are we still talking about this?

I really don't understand why I am being questioned, why not just tell the OP what you have told me and let it go? I'm sure she is intelligent enough to take the good and leave the bad.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2013, 10:26 PM
    I'm sure she is intelligent enough to take the good and leave the bad.
    Not all members see it that way. Many see what they want to see, not what they have to see.

Again, what is your medical education? I am a Registered Nurse dealing in women's health issues, particularly labor and delivery. What is your degree?

Aug 17, 2013, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Not all members see it that way. Many see what they want to see, not what they have to see. Are you talking about the people who are asking the question or are you saying those answering the questions are not intelligent enough to understand what is posted?

Again, what is your medical education? I am a Registered Nurse dealing in women's health issues, particularly labor and delivery. What is your degree?
    AGAIN, what has that to do with the topic? Are you prepared to 'lord' it over me if I did not have a degree like you?

If I said I was a surgical nurse on, disability, would that change your opinion of me? If I said I am also an RN, disabled, who worked with Hospice pts. and in a VA hospital, and nursing homes, home health care, would that have any impact? I'm just wondering why, what your motive is in asking me a personal question, when only a few posts back I was called on the carpet for asking the OP to let us (me) know how things work out for her. Are you the least bit interested in knowing if she had a simple infection that could be treated easily, or if it was something much more serious? I would like to know. I have 2 family members, one in ICU that may not make it till morn. A sister in Penn, who has been fighting leukemia for over ten years. Her wbc is so low, but Now I am way off Topic. Just would like to know your sudden interest... lol~~~~
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 18, 2013, 02:06 AM
    'Some were telling her what it was and what product to buy OTC to treat. There are herbs that will treat a UTI'

Not one of us, much less 'some,' were telling her what to buy OTC for a UTI.
    And I still would like to know what you use to treat a UTI, herbal or otherwise.

'When you've had several yeast infections or UTIs you will know all the symptoms and can buy over the counter products.'
    I still want to know what we can buy OTC for a UTI.

Please be very careful before you write. If your advice is flat out wrong, others will be all over you, whether it's your background in that area of expertise, or your sources. Falling back on disability as an excuse is weak and unfair to all those who are disabled.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 18, 2013, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tsila1777 View Post
    OK I know the symptoms and I have used them and did not have to go to the doctor. So, sorry OP, I did not mean to give you bad advise or mis-information.
    Tell us what you used then OTC because you obviously do not know the symptoms of a UTI which to some are extremely debilitating and painful, and for diabetics, very dangerous.

Aug 18, 2013, 07:17 AM
    How many times, how many will be enough for you guys. I don't want to fight with you all. Get over it.
    current pert

Aug 18, 2013, 07:21 AM
    I don't want to fight. I do want answers to 2 very simple questions.

Aug 18, 2013, 07:28 AM
    The first time you think you have a urinary tract infection or a yeast infection, you do not want to self-medicate. You should see a doctor who can confirm whether you really do have these infections, or whether it is something else that needs to be treated.

But if you have to deal with these symptoms on a regular basis, then you will often be able to determine you have the infection without a doctor. You also know that you do not want to wait for a doctor to be able to see you because the symptoms are so uncomfortable.

What if you've already got an infection? AZO also makes a urinary pain medication that is also available over the counter. It works very quickly to eliminate the symptoms of the infection. You will likely have a marked decrease in urinary frequency, pain and burning. One thing to look out for though, these tablets will temporarily cause your urine to turn bright orange! It is temporary and is harmless. These pills are sometimes enough on their own to stop your symptoms, but they will definitely comfort you until you make it to the doctor.

For yeast infections, AZO makes a yeast infection tablet. You can take this tablet two ways. First, you can take it daily to prevent yeast infections from occurring. This can be particarly helpful if you are prone to infection. If you already have an infection, you can take three pills a day to fight the yeast infection. You can use them in conjunction with other yeast infection medication, but often they are enough on their own to stop your symptoms.
    AZO medications are available at most grocery stores and drug store

Aug 18, 2013, 07:39 AM
    Falling back on disability as an excuse is weak and unfair to all those who are disabled.

EXCUSE ME! I HAVE BEEN DISABLED FOR 5 YEARS AND IT IS NOT FUN. I HAVE NEVER, WILL NEVER, USE MY HEALTH PROBLEMS AS AN EXCUSE FOR ANYTHING!!
    Maybe you should get your facts right and stop ASSUMING YOU KNOW SOMETHING.

How did you JUMP to that being an excuse? What would it have excused?

(I'm pretty sure you now have a yeast infection.---- but for now you need that Monistat!-------I can only GUESS, but you tell us: was your first infection bacterial,------ You can buy Monistat in a drugstore, but it's best if the doctor diagnoses it.)

If you can diagnose someone else's problem and recommend and OTC product, why is so far fetched that I can diagnose my own and buy OTC products to treat myself?
    Expert

Aug 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
    I just got over a UTI taking antibiotics; I got over the discomfort using Advil. Never heard of AZO, not available in Canada probably because it can't be passed by Health Canada.

I would be afraid of using AZO as it only masks the symptoms making one believe the infection is already dealt with, positively not so. We don't diagnose on AMHD and positively do not recommend alternative medicine.

Aside from the OP, some people come on here and jump at the chance of someone recommending a quick fix for what they have. Very dangerous and the site can be liable for giving out improper information to an OP.

Your profile doesn't mention you are an RN or anything similar. So just calm down.
    current pert

Aug 18, 2013, 08:06 AM
    You are the one who brought up a hypothetically disabled nurse. You are the one who brought up family who are ill. Your bio saying you are a CNA, of course, is there for all to read. How do you know I and half the others here aren't disabled too? These are deflections that don't work.

AZO does not make a cure for UTI, only a temporary painkiller (and they make that clear) while waiting for the doctor appointment. You may have said go to a doctor, but you later said that you can treat a UTI with herbs. Prevent? Alleviate pain? Not CURE, and treat implies a cure.

Ironically, I am one of the people here who is constantly advising people that there are ways to treat themselves, and face flack for that often. But I keep my facts straights (most of the time, we all make mistakes). You just are not careful with your choices of words.

When I first started on this site, I was practically tarred and feathered, but I listened and learned, and here I am, still here. I don't believe in the Expert label for all but about 1 in a 100 who are given the name (I turned one down), because I believe in the see saw notion of teacher and student.

So I see no reason for you to either run or fight. You sound like you could provide some good advice.
    Expert

Aug 18, 2013, 08:12 AM
    Haha Joy, you weren't the only one tarred and feathered when joining, I was too but you have to get over it and stick to it and learn the basics. It is sort of a 'right of passage' if you want to remain here.

Tick

Aug 18, 2013, 08:23 AM
    Diagnosis

Apart from going to the doctor and getting the infection examined through urine sample test or other tests, you can confirm the infection yourself by using various home testing kits available at the drug store. AZO test strips are one of them. Just follow the three steps stated below:
    » Wet the test pads by holding in your urine stream for 2 seconds.
    » Immediately get the test strip in contact with a clean paper towel so that it absorbs the excess urine.
    » Wait for a minute or two. Match the test pad's color to the color bars printed on the pouch.
    Causes of UTI

UTIs are not life-threatening, but you would feel a lot of discomfort if you are suffering from it. The most common cause of UTI is the E.coli bacterial strain that lives in the colon. It is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria intrude on the urinary tract system. Once entered, the bacteria starts to mutate and spread throughout the system.

Symptoms of the Infection

» An urge to pass urine every few minutes, even though little or nothing comes out
    » Pain and burning sensation when urinating
    » The amount of urine is reduced
    » The urine passed appears darker than usual
    » Fever, nausea or vomiting
    » Lower back pain
    » Diarrhea
    » Weakness
    » Loss of appetite

current pert

Aug 18, 2013, 08:27 AM
    tsila1777, you are skirting issues again and again. You just gave us a way to diagnose a UTI, which is not what this whole thing was about. It was about TREATMENT.

Aug 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    tsila1777, you are skirting issues again and again. You just gave us a way to diagnose a UTI, which is not what this whole thing was about. It was about TREATMENT.
    And I told you how I treat and it worked for me. I don't know what you want.
    current pert

Aug 18, 2013, 08:43 AM
    There is no evidence anywhere that a UTI is treatable except with antibiotics. There is plenty of evidence that if you think you treated one another way, you didn't have a bacterial infection. Please cite a SOURCE backing up what you claim worked for your supposed UTI has worked for others. You can't just go online and hand out facts and later say 'well it worked for me, what do you want.'

Let's get back to the poor poster. OP, many women drink a few glasses of real cranberry juice a week. Also they drink plenty of water or cran juice right after sex. That and many other preventative measures are worth trying. I've heard of celery juice and asparagus water. Maybe we can go back to helping with the question.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 07:57 AM
    I know, I am Johnny come late to this discussion as well as completely realize I am really just throwing gas on this, but I have poor impulse control.

Diagnosis

Apart from going to the doctor and getting the infection examined through urine sample test or other tests,
    This is the best advice you can give. While it is most common to have a UTI or a yeast infection in that area that isn't all you can have there. While she's had, if you read the thread and resulting responses, the UTI taken care of she's a little concerned about a discharge that may or may not be related.

The best way, and the only way in my never humble opinion, is for her to go and see a doctor about this. We will never have enough information from her, and will never have access to her to properly diagnose this. What you're suggesting will work in ONE case. Just one. Only one.

One.

One case only.

Do you understand this? There are many different cases for this. What happens if the cause and cure for this ISN'T what you've said? What then? What if, by your actions and advice, her condition worsens? What if she's sterilized by it? What if she's smart enough to bring lawyers into this? It's your a$$ on the line.

All this because it is SIMILAR to something you have had.

you can confirm the infection yourself by using various home testing kits available at the drug store. AZO test strips are one of them. Just follow the three steps stated below:

BLAH BLAH BLAH : TRIMMED COPIED STUFF
    This is dangerous for a few reasons. First off they could not have this where they live. This is an international site and products vary depending on location.

Second, if this product doesn't start to work for her she might stop taking it. This could start a antibiotic resistant strain of a bacteria. Congratulations. This is how resistant strains of Staph, strep, and others have creeped into the system.

Lastly, the idea that you can self-diagnose and self-medicate for issues like this could be very dangerous. Medical personal usually spend more then a decade studying medicine. I have spent four years on a minor in microbiology. J_9 is a OB nurse, she's got more experience and knowledge then some of the Doctors on call in her hospital. If she was in the same room as her she might be able to diagnose and tell her what to do. Maybe.

You've got, as you've avoided answering so since I am a d!ck I'm going to assume, NO training except for what you've experienced. I would give NO credence to your advice. You've got an experience that is unique to yourself.

Think before you post. What you say, especially here, can have serious and long lasting repercussions.
    Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    I know, I am Johnny come late to this discussion as well as completely realize I am really just throwing gas on this, but I have poor impulse control.

Think before you post. What you say, especially here, can have serious and long lasting repercussions.
    Bravo for the whole post !

Aug 19, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post

This is the best advice you can give. While it is most common to have a UTI or a yeast infection in that area that isn't all you can have there. While she's had, if you read the thread and resulting responses, the UTI taken care of she's a little concerned about a discharge that may or may not be related.

The best way, and the only way in my never humble opinion, is for her to go and see a doctor about this. We will never have enough information from her, and will never have access to her to properly diagnose this. What you're suggesting will work in ONE case. Just one. Only one.

One.

One case only.

Do you understand this? There are many different cases for this. What happens if the cause and cure for this ISN'T what you've said? What then? What if, by your actions and advice, her condition worsens? What if she's sterilized by it? What if she's smart enough to bring lawyers into this? It's your a$$ on the line.

All this because it is SIMILAR to something you have had.

This is dangerous for a few reasons. First off they could not have this where they live. This is an international site and products vary depending on location.

Second, if this product doesn't start to work for her she might stop taking it. This could start a antibiotic resistant strain of a bacteria. Congratulations. This is how resistant strains of Staph, strep, and others have creeped into the system.

Lastly, the idea that you can self-diagnose and self-medicate for issues like this could be very dangerous. Medical personal usually spend more then a decade studying medicine. I have spent four years on a minor in microbiology. J_9 is a OB nurse, she's got more experience and knowledge then some of the Doctors on call in her hospital. If she was in the same room as her she might be able to diagnose and tell her what to do. Maybe.

You've got, as you've avoided answering so since I am a d!ck I'm going to assume, NO training except for what you've experienced. I would give NO credence to your advice. You've got an experience that is unique to yourself.

Thank you, I do have links and the different types of UTI, and can purchase the test strips they use in doctors. Not all UTIs are bacterial. HOWEVER, If you read the whole thread When I was talking to the OP I told her twice to go to the doctor... NEVER did I tell her to test or treat herself... the rest was to try to explain to, whoever they were, that would not leave it alone. I too have poor impulse control, and I should have simply ignored their remarks. But I took the bait and the more I tried to explain, the more they jabbed. I think I have learned my lesson and will answer only to the OP from now on. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vaginal infection [ 1 Answers ]

I have vaginal infection infectional period what should I do personal part I have boils

Vaginal infection [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if this could be an infection my vagina is itching and burning and it let's out a thick white fluid

Do I have a vaginal infection? [ 4 Answers ]

The smell of my cycle is way different than normal. It kind of smells like a metal. And my cycle is lighter if that has something to do with it. Do I have an infection? What can I do, if so?

Vaginal infection? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm 18 years old and I've been on Triqiluar birth control for about 4-5 months now. Since I've been on birth controls me and my boyfriend decide not to use condoms because I'm allergic to them. We usually are sexually active about once every 2 weeks for about 10 minutes max. But for the past...

Vaginal infection [ 2 Answers ]

I have a vaginal infection now. I had it once before. I experience itching, burning and irritation in the area. Some sores have appeared and my clitoris are swollen. I have pains when I urinate. Can you help me please. Maybe you could suggest a possible cause.

View more questions Search