Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RatMama20 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2013, 07:59 PM
    ANy Ideas for a No Kill Rat Trap?
    One of my pet rats found his way into a small hole in the wall and he's really shy its under a sink, he can't go anywhere he's surrounded by drywall and wall studs but since he's so shy he won't be coaxed out by food if I'm in sight. I have tried the dangling a tube with peanutbutter over a tall bucket and using a jar and nickel won't work because he may be small but not that small... help
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 06:52 AM
    Google "Humane mouse traps" and see what you find. I know our local hardware store once sold catch and release mouse traps, I don't know that the size would be appropriate for your pet.
    Is the hole in a piece of drywall, if so, drywall is pretty easily removed if you could safely do it without injuring or frightening him. With a larger hole you should be able to get a larger size aquarium net in and scoop him out. I had to remove a mocking bird form a fire place once and the net worked very well he was safely removed without incidence.
    I would try to get him soon before he has a chance to tunnel out into a place you can't get to him or worse.

Aug 16, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Google "Humane mouse traps" and see what you find. I know our local hardware store once sold catch and release mouse traps, I don't know that the size would be appropriate for your pet.
    Is the hole in a piece of drywall, if so, drywall is pretty easily removed if you could safely do it without injuring or frightening him. With a larger hole you should be able to get a larger size aquarium net in and scoop him out. I had to remove a mocking bird form a fire place once and the net worked very well he was safely removed without incidence.
    I would try to get him soon before he has a chance to tunnel out into a place you can't get to him or worse.
    Thank you for the help. The drywall he went behind was behind a heavy cabinet with pipes going to it... I ended up coaxing him out with another ratty friend because the traps I tried didn't work. I was afraid I was going to lose another rat by doing this, it was really irresponsible but I had no other way, and it worked :D now the escapee is nomming happily on corn.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 11:45 AM
    Great news! I'm glad you were able to round him up without too much fuss.
    We love updates, Thanks for sharing your good news.
    I'd make sure to cover that hole, though.

Aug 16, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Great news! I'm glad you were able to round him up without too much fuss.
    We love updates, Thanks for sharing your good news.
    I'd make sure to cover that hole, though.
    I most certainly will thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old drum trap removed. New j trap will not fit same space. Idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Had leak at base of tub drain extension. Cracked at elbow which then had another straight piece to a 2nd elbow that went into bottom of an old drum trap(circa 1940's) . Drum trap then emptied out top into what appears to be a 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipe. That pipe angles over into main cast iron drain...

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Changing out PVC P-trap to decorative P-trap [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the process of changing out a vanity in our guest bathroom and I have a few questions. We removed the old vanity and had to cut the old p-trap off with a hack saw. We are replacing with an open vanity so now the pipes will be exposed. I want to tile half way up the wall,...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search