Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisawalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Looking for my birth mother. All I have is my birth name.
    Looking for my birth mother all I have is the name she gave me which was Lynette Lewis.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
    If that is ALL the information you have you are on a hiding to nothing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 12:58 PM
    Were you adopted and can your adopted parent(s) help you get more information?
    lisawalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
    Looking for my birth mother or birth family.
    Hello Im looking for my birth mother or birth family ,my name at born was Lynette Lewis I was born in Brooklyn ,N ,Y on April 4 1965 please if you any information on my birth family please help ,I was the 8 child. Mom if you are alive please get in touch with me , I have 5 children that need to no there real family . Truly yours Mrs . Lisa Winchester walker.
    Why did you give me up ? You name me and gave me up your baby girl? Why
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2013, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lisawalker View Post
    hello Im looking for my birth mother or birth family ,my name at born was Lynette Lewis I was born in Brooklyn ,N ,Y on April 4 1965 please if you any information on my birth family please help ,I was the 8 child. mom if you are alive please get in touch with me , I have 5 children that need to no there real family . truly yours Mrs . Lisa Winchester walker.
    why did you give me up ? you name me and gave me up your baby girl? why
    There are many reasons a woman would give up a child. Most of the time its because she wanted something better for the child than she provide. Clearly you are holding it against her for giving you up, when it was more likely the hardest thing she ever had to do and because it was done because she wanted you to have a life she couldn't provide.

Unless you change your attitude, I suggest you stop looking for her.

Also, please understand you have almost NO right to contact her unless she wants to be contacted. So your best way of finding her is to post on some the adoption connection sites where birth parents and adoptees can post their desire to get together.

Have you contacted the adoption agency that placed you? Are your parents able to provide any info.

But I will, again caution you. You seem to already have a feeling of abandonment. If you do find her and she rejects contact, your feeling will get worse.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
    I agree with scott. Back in that era unwed and /or teen moms were often forced to give their baby up. Have you tries checking ancestry.com to find a family tree?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 02:54 PM
    She named you because she loved you. That's also likely why she gave you up. You were the 8th child born to that family, according to what you posted here. She likely couldn't afford to raise another child. Heck, she likely couldn't afford the 7 that came before you. It takes more than love to raise a child.

You seem to be very hostile towards the woman that gave you life. Why do you want to find her? Do you only want to tell her how much you hate her for giving you up, trying to do what she felt was best for you?

If that's the reason, you need to rethink this.

Have you considered therapy to help you deal with your feelings about this? I would highly recommend that you look into that, as it seems you hold a lot of resentment in your heart.

Bottom line, adoptions are often closed. There are many reasons biological parents don't want to look for the children they gave up. The main reason is that it's not always a happy reunion. Many times the child only wants to meet the biological parent, in order to tell them how much they hate the fact that they were given up. That seems to be the case here. If your biological mother isn't looking to meet you, it won't happen. You both have to want this reunion. She has no right to force you, and you have no right to force her, according to the law.

I wish you the best of luck in everything, but mostly in dealing with how you feel about all of this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Back in the early/mid 60s the majority of adoptions were closed. They believed it was better that way.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 02:59 PM
    I agree with Scott and N0. Back then, a pregnant girl was sent away to a far-off relative's house to have her baby in secret, the baby was taken away from her immediately after birth (and she didn't even get to see it or hold it), it was placed for adoption, and the girl then had to go home again like nothing had happened, like she had been on an extended vacation. And she was never, ever to speak of this to anyone.

The alternative was to find a doctor who would do a secret and expensive back-alley abortion, or do an abortion herself with pills or a coat hanger.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
    You are searching for information on a closed adoption in an era when adoption was treated with shame.

Your ONLY options are to post on reunion websites and contact the adoption agency used to see if your birthmother has left contact information with them.

Adoption.com and ISRR are probably the best reunion websites out there.

Any other option seriously infringes on the privacy of your birthmother, who may not want her privacy violated. You do not have a RIGHT to anything but medical information.

I will also suggest that you get some counseling to deal with your feelings regarding adoption and your birthmother well before you have an option of meeting her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth mother [ 2 Answers ]

I know where I was born. November 12th 1960 at St. Joesph's Hospital in Hamilton Ontario, Canada. I know my name given at birth was Gregory Allen Semenuk. Is there anyway to find out who my birth mother was? I'm not sure if she wants to even know who I am but if she did I would hate for her to go...

Looking for birth mother [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 21 years old and am trying to find my birth mother I was no t adopted I grew up with my farther and step mother I have tried all the normal ways of looking for her like Facebook, whitepages, etc the only information I have on her is what is on my birth certificate can some one please give me...

Looking for birth mother [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Christina C. and I was placed up for adoption when I was 2 weeks old... I was told my birth name is mary ann hill and my mothers name is rose hill... if anyone out there knows anybody by the name of Rose hill I would so kindly appreciate it if someone could contact me at...

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

View more questions Search