Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Mar 26, 2007, 08:23 PM
    8 weeks along tomorrow and doctor wants to do an ultrasound?
    :D I went to my OB/GYN today for my first visit and we did the whole 9 yards... PAP test, blood work etc. My question follows this... she said that she wanted to do an ultrasound when I was 8 weeks (tomorrow) to see how big the baby is and see if the size matches up with my last period. One of my aunts told me that she's going to stick a cylindrical instrument inside of me to measure the size... and I thought it would just be an on the belly type thing with the jelly stuff... is my aunt correct? Or no?:confused: Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks so much!
    Kris:p
    brianneelizabeth Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Mar 26, 2007, 09:18 PM
    I don't ever recall having that done when iwas pregnant with my son. They can judge the age of the child by size via ultrasound ( jelly on the belly ) I've NEVER heard of this other thing
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Mar 26, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brianneelizabeth
    i dont ever recall having that done when iwas pregnant with my son. they can judge the age of the child by size via ultrasound ( jelly on the belly ) ive NEVER heard of this other thing

Thank you so much for answering... I was wondering if anyone was going to post. I didn't think so either... but I wasn't sure because her youngest is only 4 or 5... can't remember, and that's not that long ago, you know? But anyway... thanks for your response!:p
    brianneelizabeth Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Mar 26, 2007, 09:22 PM
    No problem! Good luck
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
    An ultrasound done during pregnancy can include an internal (transvaginal) one - particularly in the first trimester. It produces sharper images when done, and it's imporant that you know that the transducer is smaller than the one used on the stomach.

When they do the ultrasound at 8 weeks they are trying to determine the dates in pregnancy; to see how many fetuses there are and check on the placenta(s); to see if there is an ectopic pregnancy; and to look for abnormalities of the fetus. Sometimes the transvaginal ultrasound can answer the questions much clearer. There is little to be concerned about though. It's not painful and quite safe.

Congratulations!

Didi
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I agree with Didi. It might be that at 8 weeks they will be more likely to do the transvaginal ultrasound, since baby is still so small, and it could help them better determine the size etc. But it might just be one on the belly. If it concerns you, call your doctor, and ask which one they will be doing, and ask her to explain the whole process to you. Good luck and best wishes
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Mar 27, 2007, 07:50 AM
    I've had a transvaginal ultrasound (the cylindrical instrument) before for other medical reasons. They use it so they can get a better look at things. My sister-in-law had several of them during her pregnancy because she has a tilted uterus and they couldn't find the heartbeat a lot of the time. She had a high risk pregnancy due to her history, but the baby was perfectly healthy. She's 18months old now. The internal ultrasound doesn't hurt at all. They usually put a condom on it (which is usually too big for the wand) and insert it. IF you've had intercourse (which you obviously have) it shouldn't hurt. I am also having an ultrasound close to 8 weeks, and more than likely that is what they will use. To be honest I really don't care because I will get to see the baby and make sure he/she is developing properly and is in a good position. Hopefully there will only be one baby! Good luck and don't stress about it. It's not at all a big deal. You get to see your baby! Yay!
    zelda Posts: 83, Reputation: 0

Mar 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
    When they measured my baby they used an ultrasound I never had an instrument used just the jelly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

11 weeks pregnant, could the doctor be wrong? [ 6 Answers ]

OK I went to the doc they told me that I was 11 weeks and I am getting so biggg And I took 6 hpts and they either came back invald or negative up intill Sunday then it came back pos I have always been little and now I have a belly so can anyone help me and tell me what kind of questions to the...

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

Getting an ultrasound. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that you can go some place just to get an u/s? I really like my doctor and I don't want to go behind his back, but he only does an u/s at 20weeks. I'm 12 weeks and there is a possibility I might be having twins and I would really like to know for sure. I don't know if I can go to an...

21 Week Ultrasound [ 2 Answers ]

I Wanted To Know I Got An Ultrasound At 21 Weeks Of Pregnancy And They Told Me It Was A Boy For Sure , Is There Any Chance That It Could Be A Mistake, Is There A Chance It Could Be A Girl.

View more questions Search