Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aosony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 06:26 PM
    My smoke alarm is hard wired and disconnected and chirping
    I have two hard wired detectors in my home. I have had chirping for two months. First I took the head off and took the battery out. Then I disconnected the black and white wires and recapped the live ends. It still chirps. So then I went and flipped the circuit breaker to the two rooms and the disconnected wiring is chirping still. How is that happening and why? What can I do to stop the blasted chirping?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 15, 2013, 05:05 AM
    I have to ask this, did you put new batteries in?

Even though you have hard wired the alarms, a battery back-up is required. Usually when the alarms go nuts, it is because the battery has reached its end of life.
    aosony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2013, 06:05 AM
    OK, I did that first and that's what started all this. So do you suggest I replace, again? I really thought that disconnecting the connection wiring would do the trick.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2013, 09:33 AM
    Please go to whatever trouble is necessary to ensure that you always
    Have working smoke detectors...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have disconnected my hard wired smoke alarms but still a chirp in my house. [ 12 Answers ]

I have three EI 100R3N smoke detectors, a chirp has been happening for about 2 month. Reading info on the smoke alarms all advice pointed towards changing back up batteries. In all 3 detectors - no back up battery. So I disconnected all 3 entirely from the ceiling. They are now nowhere near the...

Smoke alarm chirping [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my smoke alarm had started to chirp at 4 in the morning. The thing is I've taking the battery out plus I've taking the fuse out I've disconnected the alarm from the roof but it's still chirping at the roof were the wires are please help

My smoke alarm is chirping after I changed the battery, it won't stop. [ 2 Answers ]

I have three smoke detectors plus another connected to ADT. I changed the batteries in all three, however one will not stop chirping. I tried to just undo the wires but that just set off the ADT smoke dectector. How can I make the chirping stop?

A weird Wired Smoke Alarm chirping issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. My wife and I have been having an ongoing issue with the wired smoke alarm system that is installed in the condo that we live in (the condo was built 3 years ago). Basically, no matter how often we've tried to replace the backup batteries with brand new ones (9V Energizer Alkalines) in...

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

View more questions Search